Skip the calories and make this Skinny Margarita for all of your summer cocktails! It will be your favorite go-to margarita recipe that’s lighter in calories and super fresh. Made with fresh limes, orange juice and agave nectar.
Do you need a boozy drink for Taco Tuesday? Or is the weekend calling your name and you need to hit it off with a tasty drink on a Friday evening? Either way, this skinny margarita will be your new go-to favorite!
Margaritas are actually really easy to make. You don’t need a ton of supplies or ingredients, and they taste delicious. I love to whip up a batch of margaritas when we host pool parties or cook-outs. And of course, the menu is stacked with crowd favorites like queso dip, Blackstone steak fajitas, and loaded nachos.
It’s 5 o’clock somewhere, so grab your favorite tequila and keep reading to learn how to make a skinny margarita.
Why You’ll Love this Skinny Margarita
- This delicious skinny margarita recipe is has all of the same flavor as your classic drink, for a fraction of the calories.
- You can make this recipe in just 5 minutes! So even if you’ve got multiple drinks to make, it won’t take you long at all.
- It’s made with staples that you likely already have in your pantry and refrigerator.
Ingredients for this Skinny Margarita Recipe
- Tequila – Use your favorite tequila in this recipe! If you need a few ideas of a good quality tequila to purchase, try out Patron, El Jimadora, or Jose Cuervo.
- Limes – Buy plenty of limes to be sure you have enough for the amount of margaritas you plan to make.
- Orange juice – Be sure to purchase pulp free orange juice. There’s nothing worse than orange pulp floating around in your margarita.
- Light agave nectar – Light agave nectar adds the perfect touch of sweetness to your drink without loading it up with too many calories.
- Coarse sea salt – If you prefer sugar on the rim, that’s fine! Just know that it will add some calories to your drink.
- Ice – You can either purchase ice, get some from the ice maker in your freezer, or make ice in ice trays.
How to Make a Skinny Margarita
Pour the shot of tequila into a cocktail shaker along with orange juice, lime juice, agave, and ice.
Shake well, until the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated and cold.
Run a lime wedge around the rim of a glass. Then, pour salt on a plate or salt rimmer and dip the glass in the salt. Be sure to coat the rim of the glass evenly.
Add a few cubes of ice into the glass and then pour the mixture over the ice.
Garnish with an orange slice and lime wedge.
What to Serve with a Skinny Margarita
In my opinion, margaritas go with anything. However, it’s no secret that they pair beautifully with Mexican food. So, here’s a few recipes to build the perfect Mexican night menu!
Kick things off with some homemade salsa or guacamole. You could also make pico de gallo! Your main dish can be simple ground beef or chicken tacos. Or, you could make these crazy easy air fryer chicken fajitas!
Don’t forget a good side dish of spanish rice and charro beans. Then of course, finish things off with tres leche cake or a homemade pizookie.
Can I store leftover skinny margarita?
Since this skinny margarita recipe is really easy (and only serves one) I recommend making it fresh. It tastes best that way! However, if you have some leftover, it will store well in the fridge for up to 3 days.
What is different about a skinny margarita?
The only difference between a homemade skinny margarita and a regular margarita is the calories and fat content. The flavor is just as delicious and typically the same amount of alcohol is used. In store-bought skinny margaritas, the alcohol content may be lower though.
Pro Tips for the Best Skinny Margarita
- If you don’t have a cocktail shaker, you can use a mason jar or some other cup with a lid! You just need something to shake the ingredients together and get them cold.
- Use fresh lime juice, not bottled, for best results.
- Make sure you have coarse salt, not table salt. It will stick better to the rims of the glasses.
Enjoy your relaxing skinny margarita knowing that you won’t need to exercise all those calories off the next day!
More Drink Recipes You’ll Love
- Do you love energy drinks? Then this Irish Trash Can will probably be your new favorite alcoholic beverage!
- The holidays just aren’t complete until someone make White Christmas Sangria or Red Christmas Sangria. You’ve got to try both eventually, I promise you won’t be disappointed!
- Whiskey Lemonade is quite possibly the perfect summer drink. It’s so refreshing, you’ll love sipping it on a hot summer day.
- If you loved this easy skinny margarita recipe, but need a little more spice in your life, then you’re going to go nuts over this Skinny Spicy Margarita! A delicious lime margarita with just a little kick of spice to keep things fun.
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce orange juice
- 1 ounce lime juice
- ½ ounce light agave nectar or honey
- 1 lime
- Sea salt coarse
- Add the tequila, orange juice, lime juice, and agave to a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well.
- Spread a lime wedge around the rim of a glass.
- Dip the glass in the sea salt, coating the rim of the glass evenly.
- Add ice to the glass and pour over the mixture.
- Garnish with an orange slice and lime wedge.
Leave a Comment