Traditional Seven Layer Salad ~ Perfect Make Ahead Salad or Side Dish for Holidays and Potlucks! This 7 Layer Salad Recipe has Chopped Lettuce, Peas, Celery, Onions, Bacon, and Cheese!
Seven Layer Salad
Is it just my family or do you have “staple” recipes at every holiday? I can assure this Traditional Seven Layer Salad recipe is one of those! Layers of chopped lettuce, peas, onion, celery, bacon, hard boiled eggs topped with mayonnaise and sugar. Yes, I know. That mayonnaise and sugar layer kind of throws you for a loop but just trust me on this one. It’s amazing!
Ingredients Needed to Make Traditional Seven Layer Salad
- Iceberg lettuce
- Frozen peas cooked
- Bacon crumbles
- Hard boiled eggs
- White sugar
- Cheddar cheese
Now, you might gasp at the next statement. I never knew how to make a seven layer salad recipe before the moment I made it for you! Feel special, ok? I do things just for you!
Typically my cousin or my Mom bring it to every holiday and I bring something else. For some reason I let them get away with that because I thought it looked a little bit tedious. What on earth was I thinking? So easy! And it looks so pretty!
If you want to feel really fancy layer it in a trifle bowl!
7 Layer Salad
My cousin is really the one that is “known” for her recipe for seven layer salad. She typically volunteers to bring it aka we know she’s going to bring it to every holiday. I had asked my Mom for her recipe and wanted to compare my cousin’s version to my Mom’s.
When I asked her for her recipe she said well I just toss it all in a pan and go by how much I want to chop or how little I want to chop that particular day. I had a good laugh. I didn’t think that would be real helpful for you.
I teased her and said I’m going to list exactly that in my recipe and let ALLLLL the questions come your way for it then!
I knew I’d have a ton of questions so I was figuring you guys would too!
This recipe is super adaptable and easy. You can really adjust to it to your taste preferences. Add more, cut out ingredients, add different ones, really anything goes!
Tips for Making Traditional Seven Layer Salad
- In a pinch? By the packaged hard boiled eggs at the grocery store!
- I used these bacon crumbles instead of frying my own bacon. This is a big bag and I love having them in the fridge for throwing in recipes! I order them on Boxed.com.
- Mix things up by adding your favorite vegetables like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower etc.
- Get really crazing and add some ranch seasoning mix with the mayonnaise for a fun ranch twist!
- Make sure this sits for at least 4-6 hours or overnight before you serve it for that sugar to not be “crunchy” when you eat it. It will get soaked up into the mayonnaise layer and provide just the right amount of sweetness.
This the perfect side dish or salad for your next holiday gathering, pot-luck or just because!
I love that you can make it the night before so there’s less to do the day of your party.
I assure you that everyone will love it and this Traditional Seven Layer Salad will become your new “go to” side dish!
More of my favorite side salads!
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS TRADITIONAL SEVEN LAYER SALAD RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time a post a new video!
Traditional Seven Layer Salad Recipe
- 4 c. chopped iceberg lettuce
- 16 oz package frozen peas cooked drained and cooled
- 1/4 c. chopped onion
- 1 c. chopped celery
- 1 c. bacon crumbles
- 6 hard boiled eggs chopped
- 1 c. mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- Spread chopped lettuce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch glass dish or trifle bowl. Top with peas, onion, celery, bacon and eggs.
- Spread mayonnaise over the top of vegetables. Sprinkle with sugar. Spread cheddar cheese over the top. Place cover on glass dish or seal with plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator overnight.
- Toss before serving.