Bacon Cheeseburger Crock Pot Tater Tot Casserole ~ Easy Slow Cooker Twist on a Classic Tater Tot Casserole! It’s creamy, cheesy and comfort food made easy!
I can’t believe August is already here!!! That means school time is around the corner for some of you and that means busy nights. When I am going to be having a busy night I like to use the help from my crock pot. And when life gets crazy I tend to crave comfort food.
It’s super easy to make and made completely from scratch with no canned soups! Don’t worry though you can still substitute in a can of cream soup of your choice if you prefer. You could also bake this in the oven like a traditional tater tot casserole and I will give instructions for that as well. Don’t worry, I got ya covered. If you are looking for some more comfort food made in your crock pot check out this Slow Cooker Pot Roast, Slow Cooker Spaghetti and Meatball Soup, or this Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches.
I used my traditional tater tot casserole recipe and added in a hefty dose of bacon and cheddar cheese. Because bacon and cheese makes everything better, right?! And as I mentioned earlier I didn’t use canned soups in this tater tot casserole. It really isn’t that much harder to make a homemade gravy. Plus, I can pronounce everything that goes into it. Don’t worry it won’t be lumpy either.
I chose to put tater tots on both the top and bottom of the casserole. There weren’t enough leftover tater tots to make another batch so in the bottom they went. I also really didn’t want to store a bag with just a handful of tater tots left in it either. But if you are making this in the oven with a 9×13 baking dish you won’t be using them all.
This recipe makes a pretty large amount but it can easily be cut in half. I just make a large amount and have some for leftovers. Leftovers + kids + a busy day = one happy mama! You can serve this dish as is or serve with a simple tossed salad, or steamed vegetables and some crusty bread. YUM!
Watch the video below to see how easy it is to make this Crock Pot Tater Tot Casserole Recipe!
Easy Slow Cooker Twist on a Classic Tater Tot Casserole! It's creamy, cheesy and comfort food made easy!
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 10 strips bacon diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- dash of hot sauce optional
- 3 cups cheddar cheese plus a little extra for topping if desired
- 12-16 oz bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 32 oz bag frozen tater tots
- In a large skillet brown ground beef, bacon, onion and garlic over medium heat until beef is no longer pink. Sprinkle the flour over the ground beef and stir well to combine. Stir in the milk, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the cheddar, frozen vegetables and sour cream.
- Spray the crock pot with non-stick spray. Place some tater tots in the bottom of the crock pot. Pour meat gravy over tater tots. Arrange remaining tater tots on top. Cover and cook on LOW for 3-3 1/2 hours. In the last 10 minutes of cooking sprinkle with extra cheddar if desired. Cover and finish cooking.
If you would like to substitute in your favorite cream soup just omit the flour, milk, Worcestershire, and sour cream. If you are making the full amount add in 2 cans.
If you would like to downsize this recipe just cut the ingredient amounts in half except for the tater tots.
If you would like to make this recipe in the oven, spread meat gravy in a 9x13 casserole dish and top with tater tots. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until the tater tots are to your liking.
Connect with Malinda Here!