Comforting Chicken Noodle Casserole is packed with chicken, peas, carrots, corn and egg noodles in a creamy sauce plus topped with breadcrumbs. Great way to use up leftover chicken!
Cheesy chicken noodle casserole is a great all-in-one meal to make for dinner. Casseroles can get a bad rap, but it’s such an easy way to get a well rounded meal in one dish. Veggies, carbs, and protein in a creamy and cheesy casserole, who could ask for more?!
This cheesy dish is a stick-to-your-ribs meal that would be perfect on a chilly evening. But, it’s also great to make when you need to make a meal that is full of protein in a short amount of time. Get rid of the dinner time blues and make this easy cheesy casserole! So long difficult dinner time recipes.
Why You’ll Love Chicken Noodle Casserole
- You only need 15 minutes to prep chicken and noodle casserole. Then you can take care of other things while it bakes in the oven!
- This easy casserole recipe makes 8 hefty servings. Great for meal prep or for serving dinner to a large group.
- If you have picky eaters that won’t eat their veggies, this recipe is the solution! It’s the perfect place to hide a serving of veggies.
Ingredients for this Chicken Noodle Casserole Recipe
- Wide egg noodles – I used spiral egg noodles, but any small egg noodle will work. Choose your favorite!
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts – Cook boneless skinless chicken breasts and shred the chicken to use in this casserole. I have a great Instant Pot shredded chicken recipe!
- Cream of chicken soup – Feel free to substitute cream of chicken with cream of mushroom soup instead.
- Milk – I recommend using whole milk, but 2% milk will work just fine.
- Melted butter – Everything is better with butter! Use salted or unsalted butter, both will work great.
- Panko breadcrumbs – Get the unflavored plain Panko breadcrumbs.
- Minced garlic – Mince your own fresh garlic cloves or purchase a jar of minced garlic and use a scoop or two.
- Frozen corn – You can use canned corn if that is all you have on hand, just make sure you have 10 ounces.
- Frozen peas and carrots – If you can’t find the combination of peas and carrots, buy them separately and use 5 ounces of each.
- Diced onion – I recommend using yellow onion or white onion for their more mild flavor profile.
- Shredded Colby jack cheese – As always, any cheese will work! Colby jack is great in this recipe, but shredded cheddar and any other favorite shredded cheese will be tasty.
- Salt and pepper – All you need to elevate this dish is a little salt and pepper!
How to Make Chicken Noodle Casserole
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a 9×13 baking dish by lightly coating it in non-stick cooking spray.
Prepare the egg noodles according the instruction on the package, then drain them well.
While the noodles cook, combine all of the other ingredients, except for Panko crumbs and melted butter, in a large mixing bowl. Then, add the cooked noodles and stir until everything is evenly distributed.
Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread it out into one even layer.
Combine the Panko crumbs and melted butter in a small bowl, then sprinkle the mixture over the top of the unbaked casserole.
Bake chicken and noodle casserole for 45 minutes, until heated through and it is bubbling around the edges.
Allow to cool slightly, then serve.
What to Serve with Chicken Noodle Casserole
How to Store Leftover Chicken Noodle Casserole
FRIDGE: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
FREEZER: Place leftovers in an airtight container, pre-portioned out, and store in the freezer for 1-2 months. Allow to thaw before reheating.
To reheat, pop in the oven or microwave until thoroughly heated.
What substitutions can I make to chicken noodle casserole?
Replace the cream of chicken soup with cream of mushroom or even cream of broccoli. You can also use any type of noodles that you want, egg noodles tend to work best.
Add any different vegetables into the mix. Chopped celery and broccoli florets would work wonderfully in this recipe. You could also add fresh spinach, some green beans, and diced squash for a variety of different veggies.
- Everything in this casserole is essentially fully cooked. Heating it in the oven is to cook the frozen vegetables and heat the whole casserole. So be careful that you don’t over-bake it.
- Add extra cheese to the top of the casserole if you want it super cheesy!
- Buy a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and shred it to use in this casserole. It will save you time from having to cook chicken and will also add more flavor.
Warm and comforting chicken noodle casserole is so easy! Try it out for dinner and let me know how it turns out.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
- Sheet Pan Quesadillas are so stupid easy to make and taste delicious! You’re gonna love this recipe.
- Want some more easy chicken recipes? Check out One Pot Chicken Spaghetti.
- Shake things up on pasta night and make some Cajun Chicken Pasta!
- Hamburger Macaroni Soup is another hearty meal to make for dinner.
Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 12 ounces dry wide egg noodles or 12 oz package Reames® Homestyle Egg Noodles, prepared
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded or 2 (5 ounces) cans chicken chicken, drained
- 10 ounces frozen peas and carrots thawed
- 10 ounces frozen corn thawed
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup 10 oz each
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup Colby Jack shredded cheese
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9''x13'' baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Prepare egg noodles according to package directions, drain off water.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine all the remaining ingredients. Add prepared noodles to mixture and stir until combined. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl mix together Panko breadcrumbs and butter. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until heated through and bubbling around edges.