Melt in your mouth, quick and easy, homemade cornbread recipe that anyone can make with pantry ingredients! Perfect to serve with chili, at a barbecue or as an easy side dish.
Everyone needs an easy cornbread recipe, and this is my favorite! It’s soft and moist with the best flavor and goes with so many main dishes.
I make this cornbread all year – for summer BBQs, fall football parties, and cozy winter dinners! It’s so simple and turns out perfectly every time.
You Will Love This Easy Recipe
- There’s nothing complicated about this recipe – whisk the dry ingredients, mix up the wet ones, and then combine them and bake!
- It’s made with buttermilk so the crumb is very tender – it also adds to the flavor.
- This is lightly sweet cornbread with just a touch of brown sugar in the batter.
- You can bake it in a square baking pan or in a cast-iron skillet!
- It’s so delicious warm from the oven and the leftovers will keep for a few days at room temperature.
- All-purpose flour – for the best texture, use the spoon and level method to measure your flour. This will give it the spongy, cakey texture you know and love.
- Yellow cornmeal – look for this in the baking aisle. It gives it the grainy consistency.
- Baking powder and soda – Helps it rise and brown.
- Salt – To bring out the flavors.
- Melted unsalted butter – if you use salted butter, you will want to reduce the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Brown sugar – this adds a hint of sweetness.
- Buttermilk – you can make your own buttermilk to make it easy!
- Large eggs – room temperature eggs are easier to mix, so leave them out 10 to 20 minutes before making the batter. The eggs will bind the batter together.
How to Make It
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch square baking dish or 9-inch cast iron pan.
Whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Set the dry ingredients aside.
Whisk the melted butter and brown sugar in a separate medium mixing bowl until smooth. Whisk in the eggs and then add the buttermilk and whisk until combined.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until the batter comes together. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
Bake the cornbread for 20 minutes or until it’s golden brown on top, crispy around the edges, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool the cornbread for five minutes in the pan before slicing and serving.
Main Dish Ideas
I love a slice with some butter, honey, or jam – it’s delicious just like that! If you want some main dish ideas to pair it with, you need to give these recipes a try:
Mixing: When you add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, mix only until the batter comes together. The flour should be absorbed – at that point, stop mixing. You don’t want to overmix; otherwise, your cornbread won’t be as tender.
Baking: Keep an eye on it as it bakes so you don’t overbake it. The baking time is an estimate, so check it early. Overbaked cornbread will be dry, which you don’t want.
Serving: I think homemade cornbread tastes best warm from the oven. So let it cool for a few minutes and then slice it warm for serving.
Storage: If you have leftovers, they will keep for a couple of days at room temperature. Or, you can store leftover cornbread in the refrigerator for a few days longer. It does dry out quickly, so be sure to keep it tightly wrapped.
If you’ve never made cornbread from scratch, you are going to love this easy recipe! It’s our go-to anytime we want a piece of warm cornbread from the oven. I hope you love it!
More Easy Baking Recipes
- Learn how to make the best Homemade Biscuits! They’re flaky and so delicious.
- Make a batch of homemade Breadsticks to go with all your favorite pasta dishes.
- Skip the boxed mix and make your own Beer Bread from scratch! This savory bread is a great side dish for so many dinners.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Greats a 9 inch square baking dish or 9 inch cast iron skillet. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk the melted butter and brown sugar together until completely smooth. Then, whisk in the eggs until combined. Finally, add the buttermilk and whisk until incorporated.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Avoid over-mixing. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven at 400 degrees F and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top and the center is cooked through. Use a toothpick to test. Edges should be crispy.
- Allow to cool for five minutes then slice and serve.
- Serve cornbread with butter, honey or jam.