Chicken Wild Rice Soup is a delicious soup which is best served with crusty bread. This creamy soup is loaded with chicken, carrots, celery, mushrooms and more! It’s so easy to make because it’s all prepared in one pot. Perfect for an easy dinner recipe. Warm up with a big bowl tonight.
I absolutely love making soup during the colder months. One of my husband’s favorite soups at restaurants is Chicken Wild Rice Soup, so I decided to make it at home. I have to say that this homemade version is just as good, if not better, than what you are served in a restaurant! I love serving it with Rosemary Bread to dip into it!
A quick tip to making this soup quick and easy! Make a big batch of wild rice and then freeze the leftovers in 2 c. portions. When you want to make it again you just simply grab a bag of frozen wild rice and dump it in the soup!
If you use rotisserie chicken and frozen wild rice this soup is a great recipe on a busy weeknight! Another favorite easy soup of ours is this delicious Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup. I love that I can just throw it in and let the slow cooker do the work for an easy dinner.
If you’d rather skip my (very helpful, I think) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this delicious easy soup recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
- Butter, Onion, Carrot, Celery and Mushrooms – These are used to make the mirepoix which really flavor the soup.
- All-purpose flour – Helps to give this soup it’s thick base.
- Low sodium chicken broth – If you use regular instead of low-sodium use less salt in this recipe or season after it’s prepared.
- Wild rice – Our favorite is Lundberg’s.
- Shredded cooked chicken – Perfect use of leftover chicken and rotisserie chicken. Got leftover turkey? Perfect subsitute!
- Garlic powder and Salt – Seasonings to give it flavor, can adjust to your preference.
- Half and half – Can use milk but the soup base won’t be as creamy and rich.
- Parsley – For garnish, optional.
Steps to Prepare
Step by Step photos above!
- Prepare Wild Rice – The first step is to prepare you wild rice according to package directions. You will need 2 c. of cooked wild rice.
- Make Soup – While the wild rice is cooking, melt butter in dutch oven and then stir in onion, carrot, celery and mushrooms. Saute in butter for about 5-7 minutes or until they are tender. Then slowly whisk in your flour. Gradually add broth while whisking. Cook, stirring constantly, until it comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute.
- Mix Ingredients – Stir in prepared wild rice, chicken, garlic powder and salt. Simmer for 5 minutes. Slowly blend in the half and half. Heat to serving temperature for about 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve.
What does wild rice taste like?
Wild Rice has a toasty, nutty, earthy flavor with a smell similar to black tea. It has a chewy texture similar to brown rice and other whole grains because the grain still have their bran intact.
How do you know when wild rice is cooked?
When wild rice is cooked some of the grain should burst open and it should be chewy, not crunchy.
How do you make soup have more liquid?
If you want this soup to be thinner just add chicken broth to it! You could also use water or half and half to thin it out more depending on the taste and texture you are looking for.
How do you make soup thick and creamy?
This soup is thick and creamy from the roux you make. Roux is simply fat and flour, which thicken the soup.
More Easy Soup Recipes!
Soups are the perfect dinner or lunch on a cold day. Here are a few more of our favorite soup recipes!
- Lasagna Soup – Loaded with Mafalda pasta, beef, diced tomatoes and seasonings plus topped with Mozzarella just like your favorite lasagna!
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup – Hearty soup recipe full of vegetables and chicken that’s completely homemade.
- Crock Pot King Ranch Chicken Soup – Your Favorite King Ranch Chicken Casserole Flavor Turned into a Comforting Soup Made in Your Slow Cooker!
- Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup – have a pressure cooker? Use it to make wild rice soup!
I’d love it you would rate this recipe!! A five-star rating will make my day!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats that way I’m sure to see your pictures!!
Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- ½ c. butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery rib finely chopped
- ½ c. chopped mushrooms
- ½ c. all-purpose flour
- 3 c. low sodium chicken broth
- 2 c. cooked wild rice
- 2 c. shredded cooked chicken
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 c. half and half
- Parsley for garnish
- In a large dutch oven melt butter. Stir in onion, carrot, celery and mushrooms. Saute vegetables in butter for about 5-7 minutes or until they are tender.
- Slowly add flour stirring as you add it so it does not clump together. Gradually whisk in broth. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute.
- Next, stir in prepared wild rice, chicken, garlic powder, and salt. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Slowly blend in half and half; heat to serving temperature for about 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve.
This recipe was first seen on The Salty Marshmallow where I’m a contributor.