Sweet and Sour Mix is a must to have on hand for all of your favorite cocktails. This homemade sour mix will take your cocktails to the next level. It’s super easy to make and way better than buying a Sour Mix to have on hand. Make sure you have for all of your favorite mixed drinks!
We love using this sour mix in our favorite homemade Margaritas that you can make buy the glass or a pitcher! I love making them by the pitcher and inviting my friends over to enjoy them with me!
Did you know you can make your own Sweet and Sour Mix with just four ingredients? We used to buy it when we wanted to make margaritas and other cocktails at home, but once I learned how to make it we always make it from scratch now!
This mix is used to add citrus flavor to drinks and cocktails. It doesn’t have any alcohol in it so you can also use it to make your favorite mocktails, too! We use it all the time for margaritas but you can also use it in lots of other cocktails, too.
Why This Recipe Works!
- It has only four ingredients that are pantry staples so you can make it anytime a cocktail calls for it!
- It tastes so much butter and is made with fresh ingredients, unlike store-bought which also has a bunch of ingredients I usually can’t pronounce!
- Store it in the refrigerator for up to three weeks so you have it on hand for those summer cocktails.
Only 4 Ingredients Needed
For the full recipe including full instructions and ingredients please scroll to the recipe box at the end of the post.
- Granulated sugar
- Fresh lime juice
- Fresh lemon juice
Make sure you use fresh lime and lemon juice. Don’t buy the stuff at the grocery stores in the containers!
Steps to Prepare
- First, you make a simple syrup by combining the water and sugar in a saucepan. Simmer them together until the sugar is fully dissolved. Transfer the simple syrup to a container and let it cool to room temperature.
- Once the simple syrup is cooled, add the lime juice and lemon juice.
This recipe makes approximately three cups.
It will last two to three weeks in the refrigerator. Just be sure to keep it in an airtight container. You can also freezer your mix for up to a month in the freezer!
It depends, but yes the margarita mix you can buy at the store is very similar to Sour Mix, but store-bought margarita mix usually has a lot of weird ingredients to make it shelf stable and it’s not always made with fresh lemon and lime juice.
You can use sour mix in all kinds of cocktails! Daquiris, whiskey sours, and long island teas are just a few of the drinks that often have sour mix. You can also use it to make amaretto sour drinks and different kinds of martinis like apple martinis! Of course, our favorite way to use it is in margaritas!
Another great way to use Sweet and Sour Mix is in place of lemon-lime soda in your favorite drinks. Just mix the Sweet and Sour Mix with club soda and it’s like making homemade lemon-lime soda!
It should be bottled in a well-sealed container and stored in the refrigerator. It will have a shelf life of 2 to 3 weeks or for up to a month in the freezer.
The best sour mix uses fresh citrus juice. This adds to the natural taste and many bottled lime and lemon juices are already sweetened. If you use one that is, you might want to reduce the sugar slightly.
Use your Sweet and Sour Mix in:
Be sure to check out our other favorite cocktails!
More Cocktail Recipes!
- A perfect blend of sweetness, citrus and mint to compliment the rum in the drink. Make a Mojito a great summer drink on a hot night!
- If you love Margaritas this you will flip over a refreshing Paloma!
- A delicious blend of watermelon, frozen lemonade and vodka. This is one adult drink you won’t want to pass up this Spiked Watermelon Lemonade this summer!
Did you try the recipe? Rate it, please!!! ? Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day!
If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your amazing cocktails!!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- In a saucepan simmer water and granulated sugar over medium heat until it is fully dissolved.
- Pour it into a jar and let it come to room temperature.
- Add 1/2 cup of lemon juice and 1/2 cup lime juice.
- Store it in a sealed container for 2-3 weeks in the fridge or for up to a month in the freezer.