One Pot Chicken Spaghetti
It doesn’t get easier that a one pot meal like this delicious One Pot Chicken Spaghetti! It’s a one pot chicken pasta, loaded with flavor from a spicy, creamy sauce. Make this the next time you need dinner on the table in 30 minutes.
One pot chicken spaghetti is a family favorite for dinner, and it’s a favorite for me since it doesn’t make the kitchen a mess! This delicious and creamy dish is loaded with protein and is a hit with even the pickiest of eaters.
When we make this for dinner, we typically make biscuits or crescent rolls to go with it. And then I like to finish off dinner with a really simple dessert like turtle brownies or carrot cake cookies if I’m feeling adventurous. You’ll love how quickly this meal comes together, and how well the leftovers store and reheat!
Why You’ll Love One Pot Chicken Spaghetti
- You can make this entire dish in just 35 minutes! A great dinner option for a busy weeknight.
- One pot dishes minimize clean-up so that you don’t have to wash a ton of dishes after dinner.
- This cheesy chicken spaghetti makes 6 hearty servings. Perfect to serve to guests, a large family, or save leftovers as meals later in the week.
Ingredients Needed for One Pot Chicken Spaghetti
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts – This is the easiest cut of meat to use for chicken spaghetti. Be sure to clean each chicken breast well before using.
- Chicken broth – You can use broth, stock, or even bone broth in this tasty one pot creamy chicken spaghetti.
- Mild Rotel – These diced tomatoes with green chiles will give a little kick to your spaghetti!
- Reduced fat cream cheese – If you can’t find reduced fat cream cheese, or only have regular on hand, feel free to use regular cream cheese. Beware that it will up the fat content of the recipe thought.
- Angel hair pasta – Angel hair pasta cooks most evenly in this one pot recipe, but you could also use spaghetti noodles.
- Shredded Mexican cheese – This blend of cheese provides the best flavor, but you can use Colby jack or cheddar if you prefer.
- All purpose flour – A little bit of all purpose flour will act as a thickening agent for the chicken spagetti
- Olive oil – Use a little olive oil, avocado oil, or butter, to sauté your onion and garlic.
- Yellow onion – I recommend only using yellow onion since it has a more mild flavor and won’t overpower the dish.
- Garlic – You can either mince your own fresh garlic cloves, or purchase garlic that is already minced in a jar from the grocery store.
- Salt and pepper – These two seasonings will pack the perfect amount of flavor into this tasty dish.
- Tomato – Adding fresh, diced tomato is optional, but recommended! Top each bowl of chicken spaghetti with fresh tomato to take it to the next level.
How to Make this Easy Chicken Spaghetti Recipe
Clean each chicken breast and then cut them into 1″ cubes.
Place olive oil, chicken, and onion into a large stock pot or skillet. Cook over medium heat until the chicken is cooked through, then add in the minced garlic.
Cook until fragrant and then remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside.
Pour one cup of milk into the the skillet and lower the heat to low heat. Slowly whisk in the flour until smooth. Then add the rest of the milk and chicken broth and continue whisking.
Then, whisk in salt and pepper and bring everything to a boil over medium heat. Allow the sauce to thicken while frequently whisking to keep it smooth.
Stir in Rotel and uncooked noodles, then turn bring the mixture back to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover. Let the chicken spaghetti cook for 8-10 minutes, until the pasta is al dente.
Cut the cream cheese into small chunks and then stir it into the pasta, along with the Mexican cheese.
Add the previously cooked chicken and allow the dish to heat thoroughly.
Garnish with freshly diced tomato and then serve!
What to Serve with One Pot Chicken Spaghetti
This classic comfort food dish pairs well with so many different things. These yummy breadsticks or fluffy homemade rolls would be perfect.
If you want to add some more veggies into the mix, make these easy oven roasted vegetables or some air fryer broccoli.
How to Store Leftovers of this Easy Chicken Spaghetti Recipe
You can absolutely make a large pot of chicken spaghetti for meal prep, or just simply save the leftovers from dinner
FRIDGE: If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
FREEZER: You can store leftover chicken spaghetti in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
To reheat, allow frozen leftovers to thaw, then pop it in the microwave or on the stove top until heated through.
Can I use something other than cream cheese in this recipe?
If you don’t have cream cheese on hand, you can use sour cream or plain Greek yogurt as a substitute! You chicken spaghetti won’t be as creamy, but it will still be delicious.
- If you want to add some kick to your cheesy chicken spaghetti, use a can of hot Rotel instead of mild or medium. And maybe even add some red pepper flakes!
- Need to speed things up even more? Buy a rotisserie chicken at the store and shred it. You can use that in place of the cubed chicken and just sauté the onion and garlic on their own!
- Top each serving of one pot chicken spaghetti with a little extra shredded cheese!
You’re gonna love this simple and tasty dish! Make it for dinner tonight, then sit back and relax instead of cleaning the kitchen.
More Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
- This Chicken Pot Pie Soup is just as classic and comforting as this easy chicken spaghetti recipe.
- Skip the drive-thru and make some delicious Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken for dinner instead!
- Want more chicken pasta recipes? This Cajun Chicken Pasta is crazy good!
- Crock Pot BBQ Chicken is the easiest way to make tasty BBQ sandwiches.
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!
Cheesy One Pot Mexican Chicken Spaghetti
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cups diced yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 10 ounce can mild Rotel
- 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- 8 ounces angel hair pasta
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 tomato diced and seeded, optional
- Remove any fat from chicken and cut into 1” cubes.
- Place olive oil, chicken pieces and onion in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until the chicken pieces are cooked through. During last minute of cooking add minced garlic. Cook until fragrant, about a minute. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Pour 1 c. of milk into skillet, over low heat. Slowly whisk in flour until smooth. Add the rest of the milk and chicken broth whisking as you add the liquid to keep it smooth.
- Whisk in salt and pepper, bring to a boil and allow to thicken over medium heat, whisking frequently to keep the sauce smooth.
- Stir in Rotel and uncooked spaghetti noodles, turn up heat to high and bring the mixture back to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally or until pasta is cooked to al dente.
- Cut cream cheese into bite size pieces. Stir into pasta along with Mexican cheese. Add chicken and heat through.
- Garnish with tomato and serve.
Leave a Comment