Rich, fudge brownies stuffed with cherry flavor and topped with a homemade chocolate icing makes these Chocolate Cherry Bars so delicious! They are super easy to make because they start with a boxed cake mix. Perfect for potlucks, bake sales, parties and more.
If you’ve been following along you know how much I love dessert bars and I’ve got an amazing one for you today! Imagine chocolate covered cherries turned into decadent brownies with a cherry twist and you get these chocolate cherry bars.
This is an old family recipe from my mom. I’d almost forgotten about them until I was going through her recipe box recently and I just had to share them with you! They are so moist and yummy and the chocolate frosting just takes them over the top – I love how the icing is shiny and crackled once it’s cooled.
Everything about these bars is perfection -the rich brownies with the cherry filling and the icing is just impossible to resist. If you’ve been looking for a way to dress up brownies I think you’re going to love them! They are super easy to make with cake mix and cherry pie filling – the perfect dessert to satisfy your chocolate cravings. And after you try them, be sure to make these Chocolate Cherry Cookies…you’ll love them just as much!
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Bars
What I love about the brownie bar part is that you only need eight ingredients to make them. Devil’s food cake mix is the key to making these really easy! No need to drag out all the dry ingredients – the mix takes care of it.
You also only need one bowl – it’s seriously a dump and mix recipe that takes just a few minutes to make.
So, start by combining the cake mix with cherry pie filling, almond extract, and eggs. Mix them up together and then pour the batter into a prepared 15×10″ pan. I like to smooth the top of the batter so every corner of the pan is filled.
Bake the brownies for 20 to 30 minutes at 350°F or until a toothpick comes out clean.
How to Make the Icing
I like to make the icing right after I pull the bars out of the oven that way you can frost the brownies while they are still warm.
- Place butter, sugar and milk in a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Boil it for one minute and then add chocolate chips. Stir until they melt and the mixture is smooth.
I love the icing because as it cools on the bars it hardens so you get that shiny and crackled layer on top.
After you’ve iced the brownies leave them to cool and set before you slice them. Then watch them disappear! Every bite has the amazing cherry and chocolate combo – you can’t eat just one! In fact, you might want to hide them!
How to Store Them
You can make these bars a day in advance – just make sure they’re completely cooled before you wrap them with plastic wrap. They will keep well at room temperature for a few days.
I have to say that they probably won’t last a few days! They are just too good – I hope you love them as much as we do!
More Amazing Dessert Recipes!
Looking for more dessert recipes to satisfy your sweet tooth? Here are a few you have to try!
- Cherry pie bars have a soft, flaky crust flavored with almond and stuffed with cherry pie filling! Easier than pie but just as yummy!
- My lemon-blueberry dump cake is an easy 3-ingredient dessert that is so easy to make!
- This caramel cookie bar recipe is EPIC! There’s a reason people call them “knock you naked bars”!
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time a post a new video!
Be sure to give this recipe a try! If you love this recipe as much as we do (pretty sure you will!), be sure to leave a five-star rating below!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram either, I’d love to see pictures of your good eats! @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats
- 15.25 oz pkg Devils Food cake mix
- 21 oz can cherry pie fruit filling
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 c. sugar
- 8 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 1/4 c. chocolate chips
- Grease and flour a 15" x 10" jelly roll pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl mix cake mix, cherry pie filling, almond extract and eggs together and completely combined. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into middle of brownies comes out clean.
- As soon as you take the bars out of the oven prepare icing. In a saucepan boil sugar, butter and milk for 1 minute then add chocolate chips. Stir until chips are melted. Spread on warm bars.
- Let bars cool completely and icing harden before cutting.