It’s so easy to make Creamed Corn for a holiday side dish or a weeknight meal. It uses pantry staples to create a comforting staple recipe. There’s nothing like those sweet kernel in that delicious, thick and velvety cream sauce!
Creamy, sweet creamed corn is a side dish you can make for so many meals! It works great for weeknights and is a holiday classic, too. It’s definitely a go-to side dish at our house for any occasion.
It’s delicious and easy! With just a few simple ingredients you can have this delicious homemade side dish ready to serve in no time.
You Will Love this Easy Recipe
- This is an old-fashioned creamed corn recipe – it’s simple and delicious!
- It’s ready in 15 minutes!
- The sauce is so creamy and perfectly seasoned.
- You can use frozen corn – so easy!
For this recipe, you can use frozen corn, but you will need to thaw it first. The easiest way to thaw it is to submerge the kernels in a bowl of cold water for 10 minutes or so. Drain them really well and they’re ready to use!
The cream sauce is made with butter, a little flour, whole milk, and cream. It has the best creamy texture!
For seasonings, I like to add salt and pepper along with a little sugar.
Some grated Parmesan cheese adds flavor and gives the sauce a touch of cheesiness. It’s so good! For the best result, I recommend grating a wedge of Parmesan for the best fresh flavor.
How to Make It
Combine the corn, cream, salt, pepper, sugar, and butter in a medium-sized saucepan.
In a separate bowl, whisk the flour with the milk and then pour it into the saucepan.
Heat the mixture over medium heat for about five to seven minutes or until the corn is hot and the sauce is thickened.
Take the pan off the heat and stir in the cheese. Once it’s melted transfer the creamed corn to a serving bowl and enjoy!
Pair it with These Main Dishes!
Make this easy creamed corn for weeknight dinners or holiday dinners – it works for both!
Weeknight Main Dishes: We love it with my poppy seed chicken, griddle steaks, and baked pork chops. Or browse all of my easy dinner recipes for even more ideas!
Holiday Main Dishes: For the holidays pair it with roast turkey for thanksgiving, baked honey ham for Easter, and beef wellington for Christmas or New Year’s!
Flavor Tip: Feel free to add some chopped herbs like parsley or basil before you serve it! Or, you can add some dried herbs when you simmer the corn in the sauce.
Cheese Tip: Parmesan works great but another hard-style cheese like grated Asiago or Romano cheese will work well, too!
Storage Tip: Creamed corn is best when it’s made, but leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for two days or so. I recommend slowly warming leftovers in a saucepan – this will keep the sauce from breaking.
Holiday Cooking Tip: Making it for the holidays but don’t have enough stove space? Try my crock pot creamed corn!
Fresh corn is great when it’s in season and you can use it to make this creamed corn. Just slice the kernels off the cob and then cook them in the sauce.
I prefer frozen corn instead of canned because canned corn can get a little mushy after you cook it in the sauce. If you do use it, be sure to rinse it and drain it really well.
The cream gives the sauce a really rich, creamy texture. You can use half and half instead, but it won’t be as creamy.
You can make it ahead and keep it in the refrigerator, but I think it’s better when you make it just before serving. The sauce can break once it’s chilled, so keep that in mind if you try it!
It’s so simple and so delicious! I know once you try this creamed corn recipe it will be a favorite at your house like it is at ours!
More Easy Side Dishes
- Creamed Peas are always a hit! Perfect for holiday dinners and easy enough for weeknights, too!
- Perfectly seasoned and crispy Oven Roasted Potatoes are the perfect side dish for any meal.
- Air Fryer Asparagus is a simple recipe that’s healthy and delicious.
- Crock Pot Baked Potatoes are so easy and free up the oven for other dishes!
Did you try this recipe and love it? Rate it, please! Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day!
If you snap a photo, please be sure to tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!!
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!
- 2 packages frozen corn 16 oz packages each, about 6 c., thawed
- 1 c. heavy cream
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp salted butter
- 1 c. whole milk
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¼ c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the corn, cream, salt, sugar, pepper and butter.
- Whisk together the milk and flour until smooth. Pour into the corn mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until the mixture is thickened and corn is cooked, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese until melted. Serve immediately.
Leave a Comment