A delicious, classic casserole recipe that has it all! This Poppy Seed Chicken recipe is a simple, hearty dish that will have you reaching for more. Creamy chicken that is topped with an amazing buttery Ritz cracker mixture! This will be your new favorite dinner recipe that the entire family will love. Perfect for an easy weeknight dinner recipe!
Poppy Seed Chicken
I’ve come to the conclusion you guys all like recipes with interesting titles. Maybe I should rename this recipe just to get your attention…
Do you want to know how I came to this conclusion? It’s because the famous “Crack Dip” that I just posted a few weeks ago has the most page views of any recipe on this blog.
So yes it is a pretty amazing recipe but I’ve made other pretty amazing recipes like my Meatball Sub Casserole, Barbecue Baked Chicken Drumsticks and my Lasagna Casserole that haven’t got nearly that much attention. It’s all in a name right? So I’m going to rename this recipe “Heroin Chicken”…just kidding! I don’t think that would go over quite as well somehow.
Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
I’m a Minnesotan and I always love a good hot dish so this caught my eye right away.
What is a hot dish?
A hotdish is a family favorite! It usually has a star, meat and vegetables. The vegetables can be frozen or canned and sometimes it’s all mixed with canned soup. It’s called a Minnesota hot dish because it originated here in the midwest. And a good hot dish is always a family favorite!
Is it called a hotdish or hot dish? Good question and either will work!
What do I need to make Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole Recipe
- chicken breasts
- sour cream
- cream of chicken soup
- Ritz crackers
- poppy seeds
- Worcestershire sauce
- celery salt
- lemon juice
Poppy Seed Chicken Recipe
Maybe it’s the cream chicken mixture that I love so much.
But, it could be that buttery Ritz cracker topping, too. I mean how can anyone say no to Ritz crackers? They are like my gateway drug. Once you pop you can’t stop…wait that’s another product isn’t it??
On the bottom of this delicious casserole we have a layer of creamy chicken and then it’s topped with a buttery cracker topping with Ritz and baked until golden brown.
The kiddos LOVE it and so do we!
Toss a salad together or steam some green beans and you have a quick and delicious meal.
How to make Poppy Seed Chicken Recipe
- Preheat the oven.
- Cook the chicken breast and allow to cool and cut into cubes.
- Add to a greased casserole dish.
- Stir in the soup and sour cream.
- Add the spices to the soup and sour cream mixture. Pour over the chicken.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the crackers, poppy seeds and melted butter. Sprinkle over the chicken and sauce.
- Bake until the top of the casserole is browned and the sauce is bubbly. Serve plain or over rice.
So go make this dish and give it some love even though it doesn’t have quite as great of a name as the “Crack Dip” did!
More great Hot Dish recipes to enjoy!
- Baked Spaghetti Casserole
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Easy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS POPPY SEED CHICKEN RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time a post a new video!
Love it? Rate it, please!! A five-star rating will make my day!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats that way I’m sure to see your pictures!!
Poppy Seed Chicken Recipe
- 5 c. chicken breasts cooked and cubed
- 1 c. sour cream
- 2 10.5 oz cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups crushed Ritz crackers about 1 1/2 rolls of crackers
- 1/2 c. melted butter
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil raw chicken breasts for 20 minutes. Let chicken cool slightly and cut into one inch cubes. Place cubed chicken in a greased 9×13 casserole dish.
- Stir together the condensed soup and sour cream. Add the Worcestershire, celery salt, garlic, lemon juice, and pepper to the soup and sour cream mixture. Pour over the chicken.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the crushed crackers, poppy seeds and melted butter. Sprinkle over the chicken and sauce.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top of the casserole is browned and the sauce is bubbly. Serve plain or over rice.