Want to make an egg bake for Sunday morning without the hassle or maybe a brunch? Crock Pot Tater Tot Egg Bake is the perfect option. Layers of Tater Tots, Ham, Eggs, Cheese and more make this the best breakfast casserole ever!
Let’s talk egg bakes. I’m sorta, kinda particular about them. I hate the ones with bread but an egg bake with potatoes? Um, yes, please! It’s something about the texture, the bread gets mushy but potatoes are perfect! Anyone else like this? Who’s team potato with me?
Well, team potato, I’ve got a great casserole for you – this crock pot egg bake is loaded with all the good stuff including tater tots! Because tater tots are the best, right!?
So, let’s switch out bread for tots and add lots of Canadian bacon and cheese. I mean it’s kind of a winning combination you shouldn’t mess with. Everything is way better with cheese right? Ask my hubs he’s totally in agreement with this. Plus you throw this breakfast casserole together the night before and wake up to a cozy breakfast. Add a batch of mini caramel rolls or crumb banana muffins to make it extra special.
This egg bake is great for holidays and weekends, but it’s so easy you could make it for a random weekday breakfast, too! Imagine surprising the family with this on a Monday morning – that’s my idea of a great start to the week.
Prepare all the Ingredients the Night Before
I love a make-ahead breakfast casserole and for this one it’s as easy as gathering up all the ingredients the night before. It’s made with simple ingredients and you only need 15 minutes to get it in the crock pot.
So grab the tots and eggs and let me show you how easy it is!
How to Make the Casserole
Start with a layer of tater tots, chopped onion, bacon, and both cheeses. Do two more layers of all these ingredients. You should finish with a layer of cheese on top
Crack all the eggs into a large bowl and add the milk, flour, salt and pepper. Whisk them together until the mixture is smooth.
Pour the mixture over the tater tots and other ingredients in the crock pot.
Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook the casserole on low 6 to 8 hours.
If I want to serve this breakfast casserole for a brunch that is later in the morning, I’ll just get everything in the crockpot the morning of and let it cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. So, you can choose what works best for you! Early breakfast? Let it cook overnight on low.
Recipe Variation Ideas!
We all love to put our personal spin on recipes, don’t we? So, once you try it you can experiment with different add-ins and flavors! Here are some ideas you might want to try:
- You can substitute regular bacon for Canadian bacon but you will need to cook it first! So, fry it in a skillet, chop it up and layer it with the tater tots and cheese.
- Or try adding cooked breakfast sausage – just slice the links into bite-sized pieces. You can also add diced leftover ham!
- If you want to go meat-free, leave out the bacon and add a few more veggies – chopped bell peppers, spinach, and mushrooms would work great! If you use mushrooms, I would cook them first before adding them to the casserole.
- Switch up the cheese! Lots of different ways to go with this – shredded Gruyere, mozzarella, pepper jack or provolone would work great!
Want more easy breakfast recipes? You have to try these, too:
- My kiddos LOVE French toast and my recipe is super easy. Perfect for a weekend treat!
- I love bacon but I hate cooking big batches on the stove – it’s always a splattering, greasy mess! If you want bacon for a crowd you have to try my easy oven bacon. Less mess, less fuss and you get crispy bacon!
- You only need three ingredients to make my sweet cinnamon twists – they are an easy pastry you can make with hardly any effort.
Try it and love it? Rate it, please!!!? Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day! If you snap a photo, please be sure to tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!!
- 30 oz Tater Tots
- 6 oz Canadian bacon or ham diced
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 eggs
- 1 c. milk
- 4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a greased 5-quart or larger slow cooker, layer 1/3 of the Tots, Canadian Bacon, Onions and cheeses. Repeat these layers twice ending with the layer of cheeses.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the remaining ingredients and pour over the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high 2 1/2 - 3 hours or low for 6-8 hours.