Have you ever had Ham Salad? If you have leftover ham and leftover hard boiled eggs this easy recipe is perfect for using them up. It’s a classic recipe that can be piled on top of crackers or make a sandwich with it.
At Easter, do you serve ham? I know it’s just around the corner, but I’m always thinking of ways to use up leftovers, and this ham salad recipe is a great way to do that! It’s an easy recipe for using them up!
This is an old-fashioned ham salad similar to my family’s growing up. I remember my Mom having it for a quick lunch when we were kids!
It’s the perfect recipe for using up leftover ham and hard-boiled eggs, and it’s full of flavor. Plus, it’s so easy! My husband’s eyes light up when I make a batch because he loves these sandwiches for his lunches. Personally, I enjoy it on crackers!
Why this Ham Spread recipe works!
- Uses up leftovers! Most of us have extra ham and hard-boiled eggs after the holiday and this is great way to use them up.
- Chopped ham and hard-boiled eggs are combined with a creamy mayonnaise and mustard dressing. It’s cool, creamy, and delicious!
- Whether it’s served on a cracker or between two slices of bread, this is a super tasty spread! I’ve even fill celery with it as a quick appetizer.
- It’s one of my favorite leftover ham recipes along with my One Pot Ham & Penne Skillet Recipe, everyone loves that recipe! The BEST Ham & Cheese Egg Muffins – great use of leftovers or even Ham and Cheese Sliders – just a few slices of ham, make for an easy grab-and-go sandwich!
This is a great recipe to make whenever you have leftover ham – It’s the PERFECT Christmas or Easter leftover recipe!
- Ham – Leftover works great, chop it finely or even grind it.
- Yellow mustard – or try Dijon mustard or grainy brown mustard.
- Mayonnaise – Miracle Whip can be used, but it will have a sweeter taste.
- Hard Boiled Eggs – Finely diced. Perfect way to use leftover Easter eggs up.
- Sweet pickle relish
- Onion and Celery – Finely diced.
u003culu003ern tu003cliu003eu003ca href=u0022https://amzn.to/3qgRorRu0022 target=u0022_blanku0022 rel=u0022nofollow noopeneru0022u003eFood processoru003c/au003eu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eu003ca href=u0022https://amzn.to/3HsSp6Ku0022 target=u0022_blanku0022 rel=u0022nofollow noopeneru0022u003eMixing bowlu003c/au003eu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eu003ca href=u0022https://amzn.to/3J2sUJSu0022 target=u0022_blanku0022 rel=u0022nofollow noopeneru0022u003eMeasuring cups and spoonsu003c/au003eu003c/liu003ernu003c/ulu003e
Two Steps To Prepare
Mix – In a medium bowl, combine the ham, mustard, mayo, eggs, relish, and chopped veggies.
Chill – Cover and chill the ham mixture to allow the flavors to come together.
Pretty simple right? This is a real family favorite!
How to Serve It
Appetizer: Serve it as a spread for crackers or toasted bread. It’s also a great filling for celery sticks.
Sandwiches: Spread it on your favorite sliced bread for a delicious easy cold ham salad sandwich! Add some lettuce and tomatoes or keep it plain. It’s also great on slider rolls for mini sandwiches.
You can really change this Ham Salad up to your taste!
- Want spicy? Add a bit of sriracha.
- Like cheese? Mix in some shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- Add some freshly ground black pepper and a little sea salt for garnish.
- Add some chopped fresh herbs like parsley or chives.
Also, if you don’t like sweet relish leave it out! Hate onions? Then don’t add them! It’s really up to you to make this the perfect recipe for your taste buds.
Most important thing? You need to try this! I know you’ll love it!
How long does ham salad last?
Properly stored, homemade ham salad will last up to five days in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze ham salad?
You can freeze it, as long as it’s placed in the freezer immediately after preparing, but frankly, I don’t recommend it. Because this recipe uses mayonnaise it will most likely separate and not be as appetizing once thawed. Plus here’s the deal – this is delicious and tasty, you won’t have any problem using it up!
A better option is to freeze the ham. Then when you’re ready to make it, just thaw the ham and prepare this recipe.
What is the best way to chop the ham?
Using your food processor will make quick work of the chopping. Don’t just give it a whirl, though. Roughly chop the ham first, then add the meat and pulse it several times until it’s the consistency you’re looking for.
Personally, I LOVE my immersion blender for chopping this ham up. I just toss diced ham in there and give it a few quick pulses and I’m done. It’s so quick and easy to clean up too!
To be honest, I purposely make sure to have extra leftover holiday ham and hard-boiled eggs so I can make it – it’s the best ham salad recipe! I hope you love this recipe, I know we do! Be sure to comment below, I definitely want to hear from you!!!
More Of My Favorite Sandwich Recipes!
- Creamy, classic Chicken Salad loaded with grapes, apples, celery and walnuts makes the perfect sandwich on bread or croissants!
- My Tuna Salad Sandwich has creamy avocado and eggs for a great lunch!
- Cucumber Sandwiches are so easy to make and the perfect idea for bridal and baby showers, Mother’s Day, Easter, or tea.
- Egg Salad Sandwiches are another great way to use up all the leftover hard-boiled eggs.
- 3 cups ham finely chopped or ground
- 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 hard boiled eggs diced
- 1 Tablespoon sweet relish
- 1 Tablespoon onion finely diced
- 1 Tablespoon celery finely diced
- Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Serve on crackers or a bun.