Easy No-Bake Lump of Coal cookies make a fun and delicious Christmas Cookie! With only three ingredients including crushed Oreos, marshmallows and butter it doesn’t get easier than this. Fun to tease kids with and eat!
Typically, a lump of coal is the most dreaded thing to find in your Christmas stocking! But lump of coal cookies — now that’s something anyone would want. These incredible cookies are made with only three ingredients and don’t need to be baked in the oven.
Everyone will get a kick out of these funny cookies during the holiday season. And while they may not look as pretty as something like Christmas pinwheel cookies, lumps of coal are supposed to be a little ugly! So, if you need a cookie to bring a laugh, or simply something that will be irresistibly tasty, make this easy lump of coal cookies recipe
Why You’ll Love this Lump of Coal Cookies Recipe
- It only takes 20 minutes to make this super simple recipe. If you made an “oops” and forgot to make dessert, these adorable cookies are to the rescue!
- Save your oven space for a big Christmas ham because these cookies are no bake treats. Having go-to no-bake recipes during the holiday is guaranteed to keep that oven space open a lot more often.
- Oreo lumps of coal are a great cookie for holiday cookie swaps. Don’t worry about their coal-like appearance, their charm is looking like a lump of coal! And they’re downright delicious.
Ingredients for Lump of Coal Cookies
- Salted butter – Use salted butter instead of unsalted to help balance out the rich sweetness of the Oreo cookies and mini marshmallows.
- Mini marshmallows – It is important to use mini marshmallows so that they melt more easily. The large and chunky marshmallows don’t melt as evenly.
- Oreo cookies – You’ll need to crush 39 Oreo cookies to make these yummy lump of coal cookies.
How to Make Lump of Coal Cookies
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and then set it aside to use later.
- Then place salted butter into a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir while the butter melt.
- Once melted, add all of the marshmallows to the saucepan. Stir continuously until all marshmallows are fully melted.
- Remove the saucepan from the stovetop and then stir in the crushed Oreos until well combined.
- Using a cookie scoop or spoons, spoon heaping tablespoons of the batter onto the previously prepared baking sheet.
- Allow the cookies to fully cool, then serve or store!
How to Store Leftover Lump of Coal Cookies
Place leftover cookies into an airtight container or plastic zip top bag and store for 2-3 days. While I haven’t tried freezing these cookies, I think they would freeze pretty well! Just store in an airtight container or freezer bag, and freeze for up to 2 months. Allow to thaw before consuming.
What is the easiest way to crush Oreos?
If you place cookies into a food processor, all you have to do is give them a few pulses and they’ll be the perfect consistency. You can also use a large gallon sized zip top bag to crush Oreos! Just place the cookies in the bag, and use a rolling pin or other heavy object to crush the cookies. Make sure the crushed cookies are small enough to stick together in these no bake lump of coal cookies.
Regular Oreos are the best to use for the dark color of coal! However, you can use any flavor Oreo to make these cookies if you don’t want to do the coal theme. Then they work for any holiday!
Flavors like chocolate mint, peanut butter, or even Golden Oreos would make delicious no bake cookies.
A Christmas Cookie Platter
Christmas seems to be the best time of year for cookies. You can make an entire dessert table out of cookies alone! And I have tons of recipes that would make the most festive display. Grab your favorite serving platter and pair lump of coal cookies with:
- Christmas snickerdoodles
- Christmas sugar cookies
- chocolate peppermint kiss cookies
- Christmas cake mix cookies
- cornflake wreaths
- molasses cookies
- hot chocolate cookie cups
- chocolate crinkle cookies
- If you find that your silicone spatula is sticking to the cookie mixture, spray it with a bit of nonstick cooking spray. You can spray the cookie scoop too!
- Don’t make the lump of coal cookies too large or they may not set well. Just use tablespoon size scoops.
- Make sure all of the marshmallows are fully melted before adding the crushed cookies.
A lump of coal gets a total sweet makeover with this super fun cookie recipe! Perfect for the holiday season!
More No Bake Recipes You’ll Love
- These classic No Bake Cookies are super easy to make and tasty all year-round!
- Bring the flavors of the campfire inside on those super chilly evenings and make these delicious No Bake S’mores Bars. A good reason to stock up on tons of marshmallows!
- No Bake Peanut Butter Cheerio Bars are a tasty snack that are perfectly sweet and oh so crunchy. Make this easy recipe as a dessert or even a fun after-school snack.
- No Bake Cheesecake is great for any time of year, any holiday, and any occasion. If you don’t want to go through the process of doing a water bath for cheesecake, this is just the recipe for you.
- ¼ cup salted butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 39 Oreo cookies crushed
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place your butter in a small saucepan and melt over medium heat.
- Add in the marshmallows to the saucepan with butter. Keep stirring until they are all melted.
- Remove the pot from the stove and stir in the crushed Oreos until well combined.
- Spoon heaping tablespoons of the batter onto the sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Allow the coal to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days.