Craving lasagna but don’t have the time for traditional oven baked lasagna? Make this quick and easy Skillet Lasagna Recipe that’s prepared on the stove top. It only takes 30 minutes and is the perfect weeknight dinner when you are busy. Pair it with a side salad and garlic bread. All your favorite flavors in a quick dinner recipe.
There are many nights where I want to make my favorite homemade lasagna recipe but I just don’t have the time. That’s when I opt to make this Skillet Lasagna that is so much quicker and easier. Plus, honestly, it still packs a ton of flavor and is probably just as good as traditional lasagna!
Why This Skillet Lasagna Recipe Works:
- It’s ready in 30 minutes for an easy weeknight dinner the family will love.
- Easy to keep the pantry staple ingredients on hand to make whenever you are craving lasagna.
- Leftovers are even better than the first round of eating this!
Ingredients for One Pot Lasagna
- Ground beef – You could also use ground turkey, pork or chicken.
- Garlic – Grab a jar of minced garlic or paste and keep it on hand for ease!
- Diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic – If you get regular diced tomatoes just seasoning it with these spices to give it more flavor.
- Spaghetti sauce – A homemade spaghetti sauce or your favorite jarred sauce will work.
- Cream of onion soup – Any cream of soup will work, but we prefer this flavor.
- Eggs – Don’t skip these, they bind everything together.
- Cottage cheese – You can also use ricotta cheese for a more traditional take on this recipe.
- Italian seasoning – Substitute your favorite seasonings to make your own like basil, oregano, rosemary, parsley and thyme.
- Lasagna noodles – Grab the no-boil lasagna noodles so they cook quick. This is essential.
- Cheese – We used a mix of Colby-Monterey Jack cheese and Mozzarella, but feel free to use cheddar cheese instead in there. Grab a block and grate it yourself for the best “meltability”!
Variations to Try!
- Substitute the ground beef for ground turkey to make it a bit healthier.
- If you don’t have lasagna noodles you can easily sub bowtie, penne or another type of hearty pasta.
- Another great option is to add some vegetables to your lasagna and “hide” them in there! Sauté a green, yellow or red sweet pepper with your ground beef. Throw in grated carrots or zucchini!
How to Make Skillet Lasagna
- Brown Hamburger – In a skillet over medium heat brown beef with garlic until no longer pink; drain.
- Mix – Stir in tomatoes and spaghetti sauce and heat through. Transfer to a bowl.
- Combine cheese mixture – In another bowl, combine the soup, eggs, cottage cheese and Italian seasoning.
- Layer – Return 1 cup meat sauce to the skillet; spread evenly. Layer with cottage cheese mixture, more meat sauce and half of the noodles, breaking them to fit. Repeat layers of cottage cheese mixture, meat sauce and noodles. Top with remaining meat sauce.
- Simmer – Bring to a boil, reduce the heat; cover and simmer for 15-17 minutes. Cook another 10 minutes with lid off to allow the sauce thicken.
- Serve – Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes to let it thicken, enjoy!
Make Ahead Tips!
You can easily make this ahead of time and warm up the entire lasagna or portions to serve as lunch for the upcoming week.
Another options is to make it ahead and freeze the entire skillet of lasagna. Let it cool, put it in an airtight container that is freezer safe and freeze for up to three months.
To reheat frozen lasagna, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator then place it back in the skillet and warm it over medium heat until it comes to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through.
How to Store Leftover Lasagna
REFRIGERATOR: Allow any leftovers to cool then place in a air tight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
FREEZER: To freeze put in freezer safe container after it has cooled and store in the freezer for up to three months. When ready to use allow to defrost in the refrigerator overnight and warm in the microwave.
- Remember to stir the noodles frequently while cooking to prevent them from sticking together.
- Make sure to keep it on a low simmer so the noodles soften correctly and don’t soak up to much of the sauce.
- Every dinner with pasta needs these Easy Homemade Breadsticks!
- Grab a bagged salad kit at the grocery store for an easy salad or toss a side salad together.
- Roasted broccoli in the air fryer is an easy and healthy side dish.
What people are saying about this recipe
“I just love how easy this recipe is! I can’t wait to add it to the dinner menu this week!”
If your family loves lasagna but you hate the time it takes to prepare it. This easy version cuts down on time and makes it super simple but still has all the traditional flavors. Plus you don’t even have to turn on the oven.
More delicious easy lasagna recipes!
- Skip the carbs with Spaghetti Squash Lasagna but keep all your favorite flavors.
- Using ravioli makes this version super easy and fun! Easy Cheese Ravioli Lasagna is always a hit.
- All your favorite flavors of lasagna in an easy soup recipe! Easy Lasagna Soup is a favorite dinner during the winter.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic drained
- 26 oz spaghetti sauce
- 2/3 c. condensed cream of onion soup undiluted
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 c. 1% cottage cheese
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 9 no-cook lasagna noodles
- 1/2 c. shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 c. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a skillet, brown beef and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes and spaghetti sauce, heat through. Transfer to large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the soup, eggs, cottage cheese and Italian seasoning.
- Return 1 cup meat sauce to the skillet; spread evenly. Layer with 1 c. cottage cheese mixture, 1 1/2 cups meat sauce and half of the noodles, breaking to fit. Repeat layers of cottage cheese mixture, meat sauce and noodles. Top with remaining meat sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-17 minutes. Cook another 10 minutes with lid off to let the sauce thicken.
- Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with shredded cheeses. Let stand for 5 minutes to let it thicken.
Adapted from: Taste of Home