This easy casserole will have everyone running to the table! Sour Cream Noodle Bake starts with tender egg noodles that are covered with sour cream, cheesy sauce and a tomato meat sauce, then topped with more cheese and baked.
This is such an easy dinner of comfort food for a chilly day! It’s has a lot of the same flavors as lasagna but with a tangy kick from sour cream. Plus, it’s made with four kinds of cheese! It’s hearty and delicious and your family will love it.
Why You Will Love This Recipe!
This is an easy casserole to prep – it’s ready to go in the oven in about 20 minutes! And it doesn’t take long to bake, either. You’ll have dinner on the table in about 40 minutes.
The flavors are so good! It has a simple marinara meat sauce that is layered with different kinds of cheese with sour cream and tender egg noodles. Once baked, it’s a cheesy, hearty dinner that is perfect for weeknights.
You can even prep this sour cream noodle bake ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator. Just pop it in the oven when you’re ready for dinner! Or, share it with friends or family who could use a hot meal. It’s perfect for that.
We love our comfort food and this sour cream noodle casserole is one of our favorites. It’s a winner across the board!
What do I need to make Noodle Bake with Sour Cream
- Egg noodles – You can use what you like best, but I prefer wide egg noodles that are curly.
- Ground beef – 90% lean or 80% lean will work for this recipe. Or you can use ground turkey, too.
- Marinara sauce – Use your favorite jarred sauce to make it easy!
- Seasonings – Garlic powder and onion powder.
- Sour cream – You can use full-fat sour cream or 2%.
- Ricotta cheese and Cottage cheese – You can use all ricotta or all cottage cheese if you prefer, I enjoy using both for flavor and texture.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – Mild, medium or sharp cheddar cheese all work great.
- Shredded mozzarella cheese – Use low-moisture cheese and not fresh mozzarella cheese.
- Parsley – I like to sprinkle this over the baked casserole for a pop of color and fresh flavor.
How to Make Sour Cream Noodle Bake
Boil: Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the noodles until they are tender. Drain and set them aside.
Brown: Cook the ground beef until it’s no longer pink. Add the marinara sauce ands stir to combine.
Mix: Combine the seasonings, sour cream, ricotta cheese, and cottage cheese in a large mixing bowl. Add the cooked noodles and toss to coat them evenly.
Layer: Spread half of the noodle mixture in the prepared baking pan. Top it with half of the meat sauce and sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the top. Layer the rest of the noodles and sauce and then top the casserole with the mozzarella cheese.
Bake! Place the pan in the oven and bake the casserole until the cheese is melted and it’s bubbling hot. Garnish with the parsley before serving.
Side Dish Ideas for Casseroles
Sour cream noodle bake pairs with lots of sides – here are some of our favorites!
Can you make it without meat?
Yes, you can omit the ground beef and make a no meat sour cream noodle bake! Just skip the meat browning step and layer the marinara sauce over the noodles.
Can you make it ahead?
You can assemble it a day in advance, cover the pan with plastic wrap, and keep it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake it.
Don’t Forget These Tips!
Don’t over cook the noodles when you boil them. They’ll continue to cook in the oven and you don’t want them mushy.
Love lots of sauce? Feel free to add extra marinara sauce!
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to five days. Or you can freeze them in a freezer container for several months.
If you want an easy family-friendly meal, this sour cream noodle bake recipe needs to be in your dinner rotation. My family gobbles it up and yours will, too!
More Easy Recipe Ideas!
- Taco Stuffed Shells combine two favorite things in one dish: pasta and tacos! This is fun recipe to make for taco night.
- Another cozy pasta bake we love is Baked Ziti! It’s cheesy and hearty with a delicious meat sauce. It’s great to make-ahead, too.
- Classic Tuna Noodle Casserole is always a family favorite!
- Skip the pizza delivery and make my Crock Pot Pizza Casserole. It has all of the same flavors but served up as an easy pasta dish instead.
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup ricotta
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon parsley chopped, for serving
- Cook the egg noodles according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- Cook the ground beef in a sauté pan until no longer pink, drain off excess grease and add the marinara sauce.
- In a separate bowl, combine the garlic powder, onion powder, sour cream, ricotta, and cottage cheese. Add the noodles and toss to coat.
- Heat the oven to 350° and spray a 9×13-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Spoon half the noodles evenly in the pan, spread with half the meat sauce and top with the cheddar cheese.
- Spread the remaining noodles over the cheese and top with remaining meat sauce and the mozzarella cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes until the cheese melted.
- Remove and sprinkle with parsley.
Yes, you can omit the ground beef and make a no meat sour cream noodle bake! Just skip the meat browning step and layer the marinara sauce over the noodles. Can You Make It Ahead?
You can assemble it a day in advance, cover the pan with plastic wrap, and keep it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake it. Don’t Forget These Tips!
- Don’t over cook the noodles when you boil them. They’ll continue to cook in the oven and you don’t want them mushy.
- Love lots of sauce? Feel free to add extra marinara sauce!
- Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to five days. Or you can freeze them in a freezer container for several months.