Craving a coffee cake? Make this light, buttery Bundt Coffee Cake with sour cream. It has delicious cinnamon swirls and layers of walnuts inside. It makes the perfect addition to any breakfast or brunch menu.
Make this beautiful bundt coffee cake for your next brunch, and it will be the star of the table!
I love any excuse to eat cake for breakfast, and this homemade coffee cake is always a winner. It’s soft, tender, and has a swirl of cinnamon and walnuts baked inside.
The Best Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Sour cream gives it flavor and moisture for the best coffee cake!
- The swirl inside is really easy to do – I love how you can see it in every slice.
- This coffee cake has the most tender crumb and pairs perfectly with so many savory brunch dishes.
Surprise everyone with this gorgeous cake! There won’t be a crumb left when you do – it’s so, so good.
Make it for a simple snack to go with coffee or make it part of a bigger breakfast spread. Either way, you will love it!
- Softened butter
- White sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Sour cream
- Ground cinnamon
- Chopped walnuts
How to Make Coffee Cake
Make the swirl: Combine the ingredients for the swirl first, so they are ready when the batter is done. Just mix sugar, cinnamon, and chopped walnuts in a small bowl. Set the mixture aside while you make the batter.
Mix the wet ingredients: Cream the butter and white sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at time mixing well between each one. Mix in the vanilla extract.
Mix the dry ingredients: In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Make the batter: Add the dry ingredients and sour cream to the wet ingredients. Do this in batches alternating between the two until the batter comes together.
Create the swirl in the batter: Spoon 1/3 of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle one third of the cinnamon nut mixture over the top. Repeat these layers two more times.
Bake the cake: Bake the cake at 350°F for 60 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool: Leave the cake in the bundt pan for ten minutes before turning it out onto a baking rack to cool completely.
For the fluffiest cake: It’s all about creaming the butter and sugar! You want to incorporate air into the batter so be sure to cream until the mixture is light and fluffy. Also, be sure to measure the flour accurately. Too much flour can make your cake dense.
How to make a moist coffee cake: Sour cream will make the coffee cake very moist and delicious. Keep an eye on it while it bakes, too. Overbaking will dry it out. To keep the cake moist, be sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap once it’s fully cooled.
Tip for removing from the bundt pan: First, make sure you grease and flour the pan before baking the cake. This will make it much easier to turn it out. When the cake has cooled for ten minutes, place the baking rack on top and then invert to turn the cake over in the pan. It should slide right out!
Storage: Place leftover coffee cake in an airtight container or wrap it well and store at room temperature for up to 1 week. It can also be frozen in a freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
Optional Glaze: Want to sweeten it up even more? Make a powdered sugar glaze to drizzle on top of it. Simply mix together 1 c. powdered sugar, 2 Tbsp milk and 1 tsp vanilla extract and drizzle of the top of cooled coffee cake.
Ready to wow at your next brunch with friends and family? They will love this coffee cake – everyone will beg you for the recipe!
Be sure to make some of these other dishes for an epic brunch!
More Brunch Recipes
- Baked Omelette is a really easy way to make delicious eggs for a crowd!
- Add a fresh Fruit Salad on the side – it’s super easy to make.
- Ham and Cheese Quiche Cups are the perfect bite-sized dish to make!
- Don’t forget the drinks – Bloody Marys and Mimosas are always good!
Have you tried this recipe? I’d love if you would rate it!! A five-star rating will make my day!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats that way I’m sure to see your pictures!!
Bundt Coffee Cake
- 1 c. butter softened
- 2 ¾ c. white sugar divided
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 c. sour cream
- 2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ c. chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan or Bundt pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine ¾ c. white sugar, cinnamon and walnuts. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and 2 c. of white sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Then mix in vanilla.
- In a different mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add it to the creamed mixture alternating with sour cream.
- Spoon 1/3 of batter into the prepared pan. Top with ⅓ of the cinnamon sugar mixture. Repeat layers twice.
- Place in a preheated oven and bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before flipping out of the pan and onto a wire rack.