Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is any easy casserole with layers of chicken, ham, a delicious cheese sauce, and topped buttery Panko breadcrumbs. It’s a comforting casserole that’s delicious and a favorite!
This casserole version of your favorite rolled and breaded cordon bleu is so much easier, yet has the exact same flavors.
Chicken cordon bleu is delicious, but let’s be honest, it isn’t very easy to make! So, why not formulate this amazing entree into a super easy casserole? It’s got all the same flavors, and is just as tasty, but is far easier to make. That’s a win in my book!
I love making chicken cordon bleu casserole as an easy dinner during the week. It’s super filling, so I always tend to have leftovers to eat for lunch the next day. I love pairing this easy dinner casserole with mashed potatoes and bacon wrapped green beans. A dinner so full of comfort food!
Why You’ll Love Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- This easy casserole only takes 15 minutes to prep! The rest of the work is done by the oven.
- There is minimal clean-up after making this casserole. Perfect for busy evenings when you don’t have time clean a mess in the kitchen.
- It’s super easy to make, even if you’re not very experienced in the kitchen!
Ingredients needed for this Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole Recipe
- Shredded Chicken – You can easily make shredded chicken in the Instant Pot or Crock Pot. Or, grab a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and you can shred that to use in this casserole recipe.
- Milk – I used whole milk in this recipe, but you could use 2% milk or 1% milk if you prefer.
- Sliced Deli Ham – I recommend getting thick cut deli ham! Just get your favorite kind, but you’ll have best results with a high quality deli meat.
- Dijon Mustard – Dijon mustard is that classic chicken cordon bleu taste!
- Shredded Mozzarella – You can buy shredded mozzarella or buy a block to shred yourself. You can also use slices of mozzarella cheese if you’d like!
- Smoked Paprika – Regular paprika will work in a pinch, but smoked paprika really helps bring a lot of flavor into the cheesy sauce
- Panko Breadcrumbs – Be sure you get plain panko crumbs! The ones with seasonings may taste a little off in this recipe.
- Flour – You’ll need a little dash of all-purpose flour in this recipe.
- Butter – Feel free to use salted or unsalted butter, either will work great.
- Lemon Juice – You can either use fresh squeezed lemon juice or use bottled lemon juice.
- Salt and Pepper – These simple seasonings are perfect for this delicious casserole.
How to Make Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
Prep the Casserole
Preheat the oven and lightly butter or spray a 9×13 baking dish and set it aside.
Spread the shredded chicken onto the bottom of the baking dish in an even layer and then sprinkle the chopped ham on top of the chicken. Sprinkle shredded cheese over ham and chicken layers.
Make the White Sauce
In a medium sized saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the flour and stir until it creates a thick paste.
Once the mixture begins to bubbly, slowly pour in the milk while stirring or whisking to make a smooth sauce. Continue stirring over medium heat until the sauce thickens.
Add the lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt, paprika, and pepper. Bring the sauce to barely a boil and remove from heat.
Pour over the layers of chicken, ham, and cheese.
Top it and Bake it
Melt some butter and then mix in the Panko crumbs. Sprinkle the mixture over the top of the casserole.
Bake for 30-35 minutes and then let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving!
What to serve with Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
I always make sure to serve a tasty veggie with chicken and ham recipes like this casserole. These glazed carrots and air fryer broccoli are perfect! This casserole also goes great with smashed potatoes and oven roasted potatoes.
How to store leftovers from this Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole Recipe
FRIDGE: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
FREEZER: You can freeze any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Reheat leftovers in the oven or the microwave until heated through!
Can I use leftover chicken in chicken cordon bleu casserole?
You definitely can! I wouldn’t recommend using chicken with strong flavors or sauces, but any mildly seasoned chicken can be shredded and used in this casserole.
Pro Tips for the Best Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Grease or butter your baking dish really well so that your casserole doesn’t stick to the sides.
- If you have leftover honey ham from the holidays, slice it up and use it in this recipe!
- Use some fresh mozzarella along with your slices or shredded mozzarella for some extra cheesy goodness.
Isn’t this just so much easier than regular chicken cordon bleu? And it’s so good! I can’t wait for you to try it.
More Chicken and Ham Recipes You’ll Love
- Another twist on a classic recipe, these Mini Chicken Pot Pies are absolutely to die for!
- Ham Bone Soup is so delicious and perfect for a cold winter evening.
- Looking for another casserole recipe? This Poppyseed Chicken Casserole is great!
- I love making Ham and Cheese Tortellini on pasta night!
- Baked Chicken Parmesan is the perfect weeknight dinner recipe.
- Cheesy Bacon Kale Stuffed Chicken – Delicious, Tender Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Cheese, Bacon and Kale! Quick, Easy and Delicious Recipe!
- Chicken Ramen Stir-Fry – Easy, Delicious Weeknight Meal Loaded with Healthy Ingredients with the Addition of Ramen for a Fun Twist! On the Table in 30 Minutes!
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Skillet Noodles – Easy Dinner Recipe Loaded with Chicken, Ham, Egg Noodles and Cheese!
- This cheesy, beef Dorito Casserole is filled with taco inspired flavors like ground beef taco meat, cheese, salsa and topped with your favorite Nacho Cheese Doritos!
- Creamy Pesto Chicken Pasta – Easy Dinner with Rigatoni, Chicken and Creamy White Sauce with Pesto! Dinner Recipe That’s on the Table in Less Than 40 Minutes.
- Cordon Bleu Bubble Up is a Comforting casserole full of biscuits, Alfredo sauce, chicken, ham and Swiss cheese!
- Cordon Bleu Crescent Ring uses flaky Crescent Rolls Stuffed with Swiss Cheese, Ham, Chicken and Topped with Garlic Butter! Quick & Easy Dinner!
For the Casserole
- 5 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- ½ pound thinly sliced deli ham chopped
- ¼ pound thinly sliced Swiss Cheese or 2 cups shredded mozzarella or provolone cheese
For the White Sauce
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
For the Topping
- 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 5 Tablespoons butter melted
For the Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter or lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish.
- Put shredded chicken evenly in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the chopped ham over the top of the chicken.
- Lay the slices of cheese over the ham, or sprinkle the shredded cheese over the ham.
For the White Sauce
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add the flour all at once and stir to make a roux. (It will look like thick paste).
- Once it is smooth and bubbly, slowly pour in the milk while stirring quickly or using a whisk to make a smooth sauce.
- Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens.
- Add the lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt, paprika, and pepper.
- Bring the sauce barely to a boil and then remove from the heat.
- Pour over the chicken, ham, and cheese.
For the Topping
- Melt the butter in the microwave in a medium-sized bowl. Be sure to loosely cover the bowl to keep the butter from spattering.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave and mix in the Panko.
- Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.