Imagine jumbo pasta shells stuffed with a chicken alfredo mixture, topped with creamy alfredo and cheese. These Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Shells are the perfect quick and easy dinner recipe that’s pure comfort food.
Pasta night is always a hit around here. The comforting combination of pasta, noodles, and sauce never gets old. No matter how you make it, pasta dishes always turn out great! These chicken Alfredo stuffed shells are to die for.
There are four different types of cheese mixed in with shredded chicken, stuffed into a perfectly cooked pasta shell. Then the shells are baked in the creamiest Alfredo sauce and topped with MORE cheese! Can you say yum?!
Why You’ll Love Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Shells
- You can have stuffed shells on the dinner table and ready to eat in under an hour. Make an easy side dish or two and you’ve got the perfect weeknight meal.
- This is a great freezer meal since you can build the entire thing, then freeze before baking. Fabulous for batch meal prep for a large family!
- This dinner recipe is loaded with protein. All that cheese and chicken is sure to keep you full!
Ingredients for Alfredo Stuffed Shells
- Cottage cheese – Even if cottage cheese is not your thing, these stuffed shells need it! This cheese is so creamy and really is the make or break ingredient in this recipe. If you want, you could swap it out with ricotta cheese.
- Mozzarella cheese – The more cheese, the better!
- Salt and pepper – Just a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Romano cheese – Romano cheese has a very distinct flavor that is common in Italian dishes. It tastes incredible in this dish!
- Garlic alfredo sauce – Buy your favorite jar of garlic alfredo from the grocery store, or make your own alfredo sauce.
- Egg – You’ll need one beaten egg for this recipe. Allow it to come to room temperature before beating so that it mixes more easily.
- Parmesan cheese – A little extra extra cheese never hurt anyone, right? Add some shredded parmesan to these delightfully creamy chicken alfredo stuffed shells.
- Large pasta shells – Follow the instructions on the package and cook your pasta until al dente.
- Shredded chicken breasts – Instant Pot Shredded Chicken is the easiest way to make a large batch of shredded chicken to use in many recipes!
How to Make Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Shells
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
Following package instructions, cook pasta shells until al dente. Then drain the pasta water and pat the shells dry with paper towels.
Combine mozzarella, parmesan and Romano cheese in a large mixing bowl. Remove ½ cup and set it aside for later.
Then add cottage cheese, egg, salt and pepper to the bowl and stir until thoroughly incorporated. Add shredded chicken and stir well.
Spoon 1 cup of the garlic Alfredo sauce into the bottom of the previously prepared baking dish.
Then, stuff each al dente pasta shell with the mixture of chicken and cheese mixture using a small spoon.
Arrange each of the stuffed shells in a single layer in the 9×13 baking dish. Spoon remaining Alfredo over the stuffed shells and then sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
What to Serve with Alfredo Stuffed Shells
I love to serve these Alfredo stuffed shells with air fryer garlic bread and a veggie like glazed carrots or oven roasted vegetables. And you can never go wrong serving this with more Italian favorites like fried ravioli.
Make some no bake banana cream pie as a dessert and your menu will be complete!
How to Store Leftover Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Shells
FRIDGE: Place each leftover stuffed shell into an airtight container and store for up to 3 days.
FREEZER: Prepare the entire pan up to the point of baking. Then cover it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and freeze for up to 3 months. You can bake from frozen, just add on some extra time! You can also freeze leftover fully baked shells for about 2 months.
How to Reheat Leftovers
Reheat in the oven for best results, or the microwave for something quick and convenient!
Can I add veggies to chicken alfredo stuffed shells?
Yes! In fact, broccoli and spinach would both add extra flavor and nutrients to this chicken alfredo stuffed shells recipe. You can add them into the mixture for the shells, or simply mix them into the alfredo sauce in the baking dish.
Diced mushrooms and diced onions would also taste delicious!
Can I use rotisserie chicken in stuffed alfredo shells?
If you want to save time and add a little more flavor to this easy recipe, grab a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and shred it. Then use the chicken as called for and voila! You don’t have to make any shredded chicken!
- If you want the top of the cheese to have a little more crisp to it, turn the broiler on for one minute just before removing the pan of stuffed shells.
- Don’t worry if your pasta shells still seem a bit chewy after being cooked al dente. They will cook more in the oven and come out the perfect texture!
- For a twist on this recipe, use spicy Alfredo sauce or grab a jar of roasted red pepper Alfredo.
This cozy comfort food meal is quite simple to make! I bet this will be a repeat recipe in your kitchen. You can’t eat this dish just one time, it’s too good!
More Pasta Bake Recipes You’ll Love
- Combine the fun of taco night and pasta in one delicious dish, Taco Stuffed Shells!
- Classic Chicken Spaghetti is the comfort meal that everyone needs to know how to make.
- Baked Ziti is so easy to make and is packed full of tasty flavor.
- Baked Mac and Cheese will have you coming back for seconds…and thirds.
- 30 large pasta shells
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 ½ cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
- ½ cup shredded Romano Cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 15 ounces garlic Alfredo sauce (1 jar)
- Fresh parsley for garnish if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Prepare shells to al dente according to package directions. Drain water from shells, pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large bowl combine Mozzarella, Parmesan and Romano cheese. Remove ½ cup for topping. Add cottage cheese, egg, pepper and salt. Stir until well combined. Add chicken and stir until completely combined.
- Spoon 1 cup Alfredo sauce on the bottom of the prepared pan. Stuff shells with chicken mixture either using a spoon or a small scoop. Arrange in prepared pan in single layer. Spoon remaining Alfredo sauce over shells. Sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.