A copycat recipe of the famous Chicken Gnocchi Soup that you can make at home! It’s ready in about 30 minutes and such an easy, hearty soup recipe everyone will love to warm up with a bowl of.
There’s no need to go to Olive Garden when you can make this amazing copycat chicken gnocchi soup right in the comfort of your own home! Make a batch of these homemade breadsticks and you’ll think you’ve gotten a meal to-go straight from the restaurant.
Chicken and gnocchi soup is such a comforting and filling soup. It’s full of protein and packed with delicious flavor. You can make it really quickly and have dinner on the table in no time! Put it on your dinner menu this week, you won’t regret it!
Why You’ll Love Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- You can make a whole pot of easy soup in just 30 minutes!
- Double or triple this recipe really easily to serve however many people you need!
- Copycat chicken and gnocchi soup is a really filling dish, packed with veggies, protein, and carbs. A well balanced meal in just one bowl!
Ingredients for Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Boneless skinless chicken breast (cooked) – You can easily make shredded chicken in the crockpot to use in this chicken and gnocchi soup!
- Mini potato gnocchi – You can find this at your local grocery store. You’ll need a 16oz package for this recipe.
- Chicken broth – This is best to use as a base for this soup.
- Half and half – Half and half is used to make the base of this soup creamy and smooth. Feel free to sub heavy cream or whole milk if you prefer.
- Onion – I recommend using a yellow onion and ensuring that it is very finely diced.
- All-purpose flour – A little bit of all purpose flour acts as a thickening agent for the broth base.
- Fresh spinach – Do not use frozen spinach. It tends to become stringy and mushy in soup.
- Celery – If you don’t like celery, feel free to omit this ingredient!
- Carrots – Either finely shred carrots yourself, or buy shredded carrots at the store and wash them well.
- Garlic cloves – You can use freshly minced garlic, or a few spoonfuls of minced garlic from the jar.
- Butter – You’ll sauté the vegetables in butter. You can also use a little bit of olive oil, avocado oil, or vegetable oil if you prefer.
How to make this Easy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Melt the butter in a large dutch oven or stock pot, and add the onion, celery, carrots, and minced garlic. Sauté the vegetables until the onions are translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
Add the all purpose flour to the vegetables and stir it in. Allow it to cook for a minute, and the pour in the chicken broth. Stir until the mixture thickens.
While you’re doing that, prepare the gnocchi according the instructions on the package, drain them and set it aside.
Pour the half and half into the pot. Stir and bring the mixture to a boil, then season with salt and pepper.
Reduce the heat and add the potato gnocchi, cooked chicken, and spinach. Simmer until the soup is heated through and has thickened, it will take 5-10 minutes.
Ladle into bowls and serve while hot!
What to Serve with Chicken Gnocchi Soup
How to Store Leftover Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
The gnocchi will continue to soak up the broth as it sits, so if you store it, just know that you’ll likely need to add some extra broth or half and half when reheat it.
FRIDGE: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
FREEZER: Leftover chicken and gnocchi can be store in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 3 months. However, it’s important to note that potato gnocchi will change texture after stored in the freezer. It will still taste great, the gnocchi just may have an odd texture!
- If you like a little kick in your soup, add some red pepper flakes to each bowl or make the whole batch spicy by adding it to the pot.
- Don’t have time to make cooked chicken? Buy a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and shred that to use in the soup. It’ll save time and add some extra flavor! Another great option is using two cans of shredded chicken which is easy to keep in the pantry.
- Be sure you dice all of the vegetables into really small chunks. They’ll distribute better throughout the soup if they’re diced in to small chunks.
This bowl of comfort food just hits the spot on a cold evening! Whip it up for dinner…the family is gonna love it.
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love
- If you’ve got an Instant Pot, you’ll love this Instant Pot Taco Soup recipe!
- Loving these copycat recipes? Then check out this super easy Crock Pot Zuppa Toscana.
- This Sausage Tortellini Soup is another great Italian soup recipe to make on a busy evening.
- Make this Broccoli Cheese Soup when you want some comfort food!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup carrots shredded
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
- Salt and pepper for seasonings
- 16 ounces mini potato gnocchi 1 package
- 1 cup fresh spinach chopped
- In a large dutch oven or stock pot, melt butter on medium heat.
- Add the onions, celery, carrots and garlic to the Dutch oven. Cook until onions become translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk in flour and let cook for a minute then slowly add the chicken broth and simmer until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Meanwhile prepare gnocchi according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Pour the half and half into the dutch oven with the vegetable and chicken broth mixture. Bring to a boil, season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat and add gnocchi, spinach and chicken, simmer until heated through and mixture has thickened about 5-10 minutes.