Easter Egg Hunt Sugar Cookie Bars ~ Soft, Chewy Sugar Cookie Bars topped with Green Coconut “Grass” and Candy Easter Eggs!
Sometimes I think Mother Nature is bi-polar. Seriously. At least in Minnesota she is. Last week we had amazing weather like 40-50 degrees and not wear your jacket type of weather. The snow was almost melted and it was drying up so you didn’t get stuck in the mud when you walked outside.
My little brother-in-law was over last week and I was raving about the weather and he promptly looked at me and said, “Julie next we will probably get 18 inches of snow!”
I almost cried knowing it was true. He had a point. It was early March and we live in Minnesota. Let’s get real. Spring does not happen that early 99.9% of the time.
This said little brother-in-law was running on the treadmill at the gym and I was by him on the elliptical bright and early Monday morning of this week. He’s jamming out to his tunes and I’m reading my book. All of a sudden I hear, “JULIE!” and look to see him wildly pointing at the TV screen.
There was a blizzard coming. Well not quite a blizzard but a town by us was forecasted to get 13.1 inches of snow. If that storm moved about 30 miles south it would be us. I promptly wanted to crawl back in bed and cry or hibernate until June. It wasn’t quite the 18 inches he had predicted but it was close enough!
Instead I’ll just bake fun, happy, springy treats ok?
Wonky Wonderful inspired these treats with her Easter Breakfast Donuts because they were simply to cute I had to try out an egg hunt treat of my own! I knew these soft, chewy sugar cookie bars were the key to my dreams. Sure I could have made sugar cookies with them but I don’t have time for that business!
If you are looking for a spring time treat these are perfect!
Now let’s all say a silent prayer my snow leaves and I can wear a cute dress and sandals on Easter Sunday!
- 1 1/2 C. Sugar
- 1 C Butter softened
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 t. almond extract
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 2 1/2 c. Flour
- 1/4 c. butter softened
- 2 oz. cream cheese softened
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 2-3 T Milk
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- Green food coloring
- 2 c. shredded coconut
- Green food coloring
- Reese's Candy Eggs
- In a large mixing bowl beat the butter, cream cheese, sugar and egg until nice and frothy. This will take about 4 min. Add vanilla and almond extract. Beat about 1 min.
- Add flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat about 2 min. It will be light and fluffy.
- Press dough into greased 10 1/2 in x 15 1/2 in. jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes. Cool completely.
- For the frosting combine butter and cream cheese. Beat about 2 min until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and food coloring. Mix 1-2 min until smooth. Smooth over bars.
- In a bowl mix together the coconut and green food coloring. Sprinkle over bars. Top with candy eggs