Easy Mexican Casserole ~ Perfect mix of textures and flavors. Full of hearty beef and beans and topped with cheese and corn chips, it’s a family-pleasing meal great for any night of the week!
You know those nights when you just want something quick, easy, healthy, and filling? (Oh, you mean like every night?) Yes. I’m talking about the nights when you don’t have guests over and when it’s not a holiday. I’m talking about those nights when you have to get your son to lacrosse practice and your daughter to gymnastics and you only have a teeny bit of time to throw something together. This Mexican Casserole is perfect for THOSE nights. All you have to do is cook up some hamburger, open a couple of cans and a couple of bags, and you are done. Well, you actually have to do a LITTLE more, but not much.
It’s one of our favorite quick and easy meals that is totally family friendly. My kids never say no to this and neither do I!
Ingredients Needed for Mexican Casserole
- lean ground beef
- garlic powder
- chili powder
- tomato sauce
- white beans (Great Northern)
- shredded cheddar cheese
- corn chips
Sometimes in life, wait most of the time in life, I feel like I’m bouncing from one thing to another as fast as I can blink my eyes. I’m always trying to run someone somewhere, make someone food, clean up something after someone or catch my breath! The latter does not happen much.
That’s why I’m always looking for more family friendly recipes that are quick, easy and delicious. I love all the flavors in this easy Mexican Casserole. Plus, it’s easy. That’s really my main goal in life!
I need an easy button sometimes. Well, most of the time, but they say these are the moments that I’ll miss. Sometimes I look forward to some downtime when I’m past this stage, but for now I’m trying to embrace it and roll with it!
Thanks to easy recipes like this I’m able to embrace it a little more!
Tips for Making Mexican Casserole
- Feel free to use ground turkey or chicken in place of the ground beef. You can also use shredded rotisserie chicken or chicken breasts. This is a great way to use up leftover meat.
- Adjust the spices to your liking. Want things a little hotter? Add some cayenne or chipoltle powder.
- Use any type of beans in place of the white beans. Black beans, red beans, or pinto beans work well.
- Use pepperjack cheese in place of the mozzarella for some variety and kick.
- Use pre-shredded cheese. I buy mine at Costco, and the cost is the same per ounce as a block of non-shredded cheese.
- Instead of traditional red salsa, try using green salsa. This goes particularly great with chicken.
- You can prepare this casserole beforehand and keep it in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
To make this casserole, all you are going to do is cook up the meat and mix it with the spices, tomato sauce, and salsa. Then crush up some tortilla chips and put them in the bottom of a casserole dish. Layer with the meat mixture, beans, and cheese, then top with more crushed chips and shredded cheese. Then just bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Take the lid off for the last ten minutes so that the cheese gets bubbly, and there you have it!
- 1/2-1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 15 oz. can Great Northern Beans, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- crushed corn chips to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook the ground beef over medium heat on the stove, about ten minutes. When beef is no longer pink, drain the fat, and then add all the spices along with the tomato sauce, salsa, and beans.
- Put a layer of broken or crushed corn chips in a casserole dish. Pour the beef/bean mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with half of the shredded cheese.
- Put another layer of corn chips over the top. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the chips.
- Cover the casserole with foil or a lid and bake for 30-40 minutes. Remove the foil or lid for the last ten minutes to allow the cheese to get bubbly.
- Garnish with green onions and sour cream if desired.
Want more great, easy dinner ideas? Try these!
Connect with Melissa Here!