Do you love meatball subs? Now you can have your favorite meatball sub in this hearty casserole! Meatball Sub Casserole combines all your favorite flavors of the classic sub. The perfect comfort food recipe. A layer of toasted french bread topped with cream cheese layer, spaghetti sauce, meatballs and cheese. We love making this and it’s so easy! I’ts one of the best casserole recipes and it freezes great!
Meatball Sub Casserole
Winter is STILL here, can you believe it? Oh. My. Goodness. Supposedly Punxsutawney Phil didn’t see his shadow this year but I’m telling you…
I feel like it will never end!
Seriously though, I know it’s the end of February and March is right around the corner. This is the hardest part of the season. You’re waiting for spring, but March is usually the snowiest month and by now.
I’m seriously over it. You can relate right?
That’s why we need more casserole recipes in our life! Delicious recipes that are easy to make and will warm you up on a cold day! Lasagna Casserole, Baked Spaghetti Casserole or Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole all great choices so I’m adding one more – Meatball Sub Casserole!
This is a hearty, yummy casserole perfect for those cool days that seem to be here to stay.
I knew when I saw this I had to try it. It comes together so fast and easy. I used pre-made meatballs, toasted the bread a little so it would stay firm. I did wonder when I was making this if I was going to end up with a soggy mess.
This is also what my mom asked when I told her about this! I’m proud to report that it doesn’t turn into a soggy mess!
My family loves casseroles and so do I! Although we refer to them as “Hot Dishes” since we are from Minnesota.
It’s funny how I’ve had to change my lingo since I started this blog ?
What do I need to make Meatball Sub Casserole
- loaf french bread
- cream cheese
- Italian seasoning
- mozzarella cheese
- frozen meatballs
- pasta sauce
What are the three main parts of a casserole?
Meat, sauce and cheese! Heavenly huh? But a casserole needs the right dish. A great casserole dish will be oven safe. Some are deep, others are more shallow. Metal is usually lighter, ceramic can be heaven once it’s filled.
I like a dish that is pretty enough to go from the oven right to the table. Here are some of my favorites!
For all you farmer’s wives out there this would be a PERFECT casserole to bring out to the meal and would have the guys coming back for seconds. I know if you are anything like us you are always on the look out for new meals to bring out!
How to make Meatball Sub Casserole
- Preheat the oven.
- Arrange slices of bread in one layer in the casserole dish. If there are gaps, fill them in with smaller chunks of bread.
- Next combine cream cheese, mayonnaise and seasonings.
- Spread over bread slices. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Combine the spaghetti sauce and meatballs. Spoon over cheese. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake until hot and bubbly!
More delicious Casserole Recipes!
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Easy Mexican Casserole
- Easy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- Poppy Seed Chicken
- Cheesy Ham Casserole with Bowtie Pasta
What’s your favorite meal in the winter? Be sure to comment below, I definitely want to hear from you!!! And if you’re like me and snap photos of everything you eat, tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats that way I’m sure to see how this turned out for you!!
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS MEATBALL SUB CASSEROLE RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time a post a new video!
Meatball Sub Casserole Recipe
- 1 loaf french bread cut into 1 in thick slices, toasted
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 lb package fully cooked frozen meatballs thawed
- 1 jar pasta sauce 28 oz
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange bread slices in a single layer in an ungreased 9×13 baking dish. Fill in gaps with smaller chunks of bread.
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise and seasonings. Spread mixture over bread slices. Sprinkle with 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Gently mix together spaghetti sauce and meatballs. Spoon over cheese. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes.
Recipe from: The Country Cook