Mai Tai is a delicious, refreshing Tiki cocktail based on rum, Curacao liqueur, orgeat syrup and lime juice. It’s finished off with a splash of grenadine, and served with a mint sprig, maraschino cherry and lime. This is going to be your new favorite fruity cocktail recipe when entertaining or relaxing.
If you are entertaining make sure to check out our other cocktail recipes that are perfect for your guests like our Paloma, Mojito or Aperol Spritz! They are all favorites and easy to make while entertaining.
Remember the grenadine from the Shirley Temple Drink I shared a while back? Well, here’s another drink you can use grenadine in except this time it’s an adults-only Mai Tai cocktail!
It’s a cold, fruity cocktail that is perfect for the summer. You shake up all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker and then pour the drink over ice. When I’m in the mood for something fruity, this cocktail is always a top choice!
Whenever I think about one of these drinks, I can’t help but think of the beach, tiki huts and warm summer nights. It’s a super beachy cocktail that has a gorgeous color that reminds me of the sunset. Plus, it’s so fruity and refreshing you can’t help but think you’re on vacation even if you’re just sipping on one at home.
Is there anything better during the summer than sipping on cold and fruity cocktails? I think Mai Tai drinks are one of those cocktail recipes people only have if they go on a cruise or beach vacation, but I am here to tell you that you can make them at home!
Have you ever been on a cruise? Holy cow, the drinks are expensive! Sure, it’d be great to go on some tropical cruise, but I’m happy to save a little money and sip on a this cocktail at home – I am all about the staycation!
You are going to want to go straight to the liquor store and grab the ingredients for this fruity cocktail as soon as possible!
- White rum
- Dark rum
- Dry orange Curaçao
- Orgeat syrup
- Mint sprig
- Maraschino cherry
Breaking the Liquor Down
White Rum & Aged Dark Rum: This cocktail starts with two kinds of rum: white rum which is lighter and subtly sweet and aged rum which has a deeper almost caramelized flavor.
Curacao Liqueur: Curacao liqueur is an orange-flavored liqueur that’s used in a lot of tropical-inspired cocktails. Even though it’s orange-flavored the color of the liqueur is blue!
Orgeat Syrup: Orgeat is just a syrup made from sugar and almonds, so it has a nutty flavor. It’s also used in a lot of tropical drinks. If you can’t find it you can substitute Amaretto liqueur (the kind used to make an Amaretto Sour!), but this will give your cocktail an extra boozy punch so beware!
You will also need lime juice and grenadine to finish off the drink. And don’t skip the garnishes! I like to garnish it with some fresh mint, maraschino cherries, and lime slices.
3 Steps to Prepare!
This cocktail is the perfect excuse to break out the cocktail shaker!
- Mix it up – Just add everything but the grenadine.
- Shake it up – Shake it all and pour it into a glass with ice.
- Garnish it – Top the drink with grenadine and garnish it with maraschino cherries, lime slices, and fresh mint!
A Mai Tai is a classic cocktail – it’s been popular for decades – and I know you’re going to love it! It’s great if you just want to mix up one or two drinks or you can make a big batch for entertaining! Backyard tiki party, anyone?
The BEST Cocktail Recipes!
- Instead of a Margarita try this delicious and easy Paloma.
- Summer calls for Mason Jars of Pink Moscato Lemonade.
- Bring back an old school fruity drink with this Alabama Slammer.
- You can never go wrong with a pitcher of Peach Sangria at summer parties.
- A Seabreeze is a fruity cocktail made with cranberry juice, grapefruit juice, and vodka. It’s super refreshing!
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time I post a new video!
Try it and love it? Rate it, please!!! ? Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day! If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your delicious recipes!!
- 1 oz white rum
- 1 oz aged dark rum
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lime juice from 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon dry orange Curaçao (½ oz)
- 1 tablespoon orgeat syrup
- 1 teaspoon grenadine
- Mint sprig maraschino cherry, lime for serving
- Combine rum, lime juice, Curaçao, orgeat, and cherry juice in a cocktail shaker. Fill with ice.
- Shake vigorously for 20 seconds. Strain into an ice-filled rocks glass.
- Garnish with mint, cherry, and lime.