Craving a quick and easy cocktail on your back deck? This Alabama Slammer is a delicious blend of Amaretto, Southern Comfort, Slow Gin and Orange Juice that you shake in your cocktail shaker. It’s also known as a southern slammer sometimes. Kick your feet up and relax with this bright and fruity drink!
I am so ready for some cold drinks on the deck! It’s getting to be that time of year around here and I am all about it. Of course, I have a drink recipe for you to kick-off the drinks-on-the-patio season and it’s an old favorite: Alabama Slammer! Sipping on one of these along with some munchies like ranch pretzels or homemade chex mix sounds like a perfect happy hour to me.
Maybe it’s been a while since you’ve had one? I know it had been for me – I think the last time I had an Alabama Slammer was in college and one sip just took me back to those days! If you’ve never tried it or heard of it I think you’re going to love it. It’s cold and refreshing with citrus, Southern Comfort, slow gin and amaretto.
Where did the Alabama Slammer Come From?
An Alabama slammer (or Southern Slammer) is a southern drink that was popular at the University of Alabama, mostly because of the color. Home of the Crimson Tide the bright red/orange color of the drink is a favorite way to toast the team at tailgate and football parties. Of course, there are other claims that say otherwise but this is what is commonly believed. Makes sense to me!
It’s a drink that’s been around since the 1970s and it’s sort of seen its heyday, so I’m bringing it back! It’s so good and a perfect summer cocktail.
An Alabama slammer is a combination of a few different alcohols plus some orange juice.
- Southern Comfort tastes like whiskey but is actually a liqueur. It’s a little fruity with some spice notes and there really isn’t a substitute. It’s what makes this drink!
- Sloe Gin is a red-colored liqueur that is sweet and tastes like plums.
- Amaretto is an Italian almond-flavored liqueur. If you’ve ever tried my amaretto sour cocktail it’s in that drink, too!
- The drink also has orange juice and you definitely want to use fresh-squeezed! Store-bought orange juice has a lot of sugar in it and, since the liqueurs in the drink are already sweet, you want fresh orange juice which will be a little tarter. It offsets the sweetness in the drink perfectly.
We recommend going for the higher proof Southern Comfort and Sloe Gin. This will give it a decent amount of kick otherwise the liquors are weak and super sweet.
I love a drink garnish, so have some orange slices or maraschino cherries to add to your finished drink!
How to Make an Alabama Slammer
You probably already know I love to use the cocktail shaker! You definitely want one for this drink – it’s the easiest way to mix the drink and get it really cold before you serve it.
Just add all of the ingredients to the shaker with ice. Shake it really well and then pour the drink into a tall glass with ice. Add your garnishes and a fun straw to finish it off!
Can I Make a Big Batch for a Party?
Yes, you can make a big batch ahead of time. Mix all of the ingredients in a large container or pitcher and keep it in the refrigerator. When someone wants a drink all they have to do is pour the mixture in the shaker and then pour it over ice.
An Alabama Slammer is a little fruity and a lot boozy so be careful! I like to sip on one and, as the ice melts, the alcohol-kick mellows out. This drink just looks like summer to me – I think you will love it, too!
More Amazing Summer Cocktails
If you want some more drinks to try you should check out these summer favorites, too!
- A Mai Tai is a classic tiki drink and a great cocktail for the summer! It’s fruity, refreshing and so easy to make.
- Aperol Spritz is a popular cocktail in Italy! It’s tasty, refreshing and vibrant orange hue that is sure to light up your toasts. You only need three ingredients to make it!
- A Mojito is made with rum and fresh mint – make a single drink for yourself or a big batch to share with friends!
- Try a Gin Fizz – it’s so light and refreshing!
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel and click the bell icon to be notified each time a post a new video!
Be sure to give this recipe a try! If you love this recipe as much as we do (pretty sure you will!), be sure to leave a five-star rating below!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram either, I’d love to see pictures of your good eats! @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats
MORE RECIPES TO TRY!
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!
- 1 oz Southern Comfort
- 1 oz Sloe gin
- 1 oz Amaretto
- 2 oz orange juice
- Garnish: Orange wedge and cherry
- Fill a cocktail shaker half way full with ice.
- Pour all ingredients in a shaker. Shake well.
- Strain into a highball glass with ice.
- Garnish with an orange wheel and a cherry, and serve with a straw.
- For the orange juice you definitely want to use fresh-squeezed! Store-bought orange juice has a lot of sugar in it and, since the liqueurs in the drink are already sweet, you want fresh orange juice which will be a little tarter. It offsets the sweetness in the drink perfectly.
- We recommend going for the higher proof Southern Comfort and Sloe Gin. This will give it a decent amount of kick otherwise the liquors are weak and super sweet.
Leave a Comment