Tender, juicy chicken thighs are a quick and easy dinner recipe! These Air Fryer Chicken Thighs are coated with olive oil and then tossed with a blend of seasonings before they are cooked. This gives them a delicious flavor and crispy skin!
Juicy chicken thighs with crispy seasoned skin is a quick and easy dinner recipe you can make in your air fryer!
You guys know how much I love air fryer recipes – you can use it for so many things and you get that crispy texture without having to fry anything. I love it! And these air fryer chicken thighs are so delicious we have them in our dinner rotation on a regular basis.
They are seasoned with a homemade seasoning mix made with smoked paprika and chili powder so they have tons of flavor! If you’ve been wanting to try a new chicken recipe you are going to love this one! Don’t have an air fryer? Make my baked chicken thighs instead!
Recipe Steps and Tips!
First, make your seasoning mix by combining garlic powder, smoked paprika, chili powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
Pat the thighs dry. This is an important step! Removing excess moisture will ensure your they cook up with really crispy skin.
Brush the chicken with olive oil and then sprinkle the seasoning all over the chicken.
Place the thighs in the air fryer in an even layer. Cook them for 18 minutes at 400 degrees F or until they are cooked through.
How do you know when chicken thighs are done?
Technically, they’re done when the internal temperate is 165 degrees F and the juices run clear.
I actually prefer to cook mine until they are 185 to 190 degrees F. That way, you won’t have any of those blood spots near the bone. Thighs have plenty of fat so they won’t dry out if you cook them a little longer.
Can I use chicken breasts for this recipe?
Well, first let me explain why I love chicken thighs for this recipe. First, they are a little smaller and fit perfectly in my air fryer. Bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts are a lot bigger so you would have to cook them in batches. Also, the cooking time will vary.
I don’t recommend using boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe because you won’t get the crispy skin! Also, they will dry out more and not be as juicy as thighs.
Can I cook them in the oven?
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can cook them in the oven. You can use the same temperature (400 degrees F) but they will take longer to cook than the air fryer. I haven’t tested them this way, so I can’t give you a time estimate.
Also, the skin may not be as crispy because an oven works differently than an air fryer. When you cook them in an air fryer, hot air is circulated around the food which is what makes the skin so crispy. It’s a lot like a convection oven!
What are some good side dishes?
Oh, the possibilities are endless! It’s what I love best about this dish – you can pair them with so many side dishes. Here are some of my favorites:
- During the summer, I love to make potato salad to go with them. My bacon ranch potato salad is one of my family’s favorites or try my classic potato salad!
- Add a healthy veggie side dish like a mix of roasted vegetables, cooked asparagus, or roasted cauliflower.
- During the winter when we’re craving something hearty I’ll make broccoli casserole, baked potatoes or cheesy garlic noodles!
Seriously, though, they go with almost anything so check out all of my side dish recipes for even more ideas!
Whatever you do, you have to try these easy air fryer chicken thighs! Crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside – they are so delicious! Might I suggest that you make them this week? You won’t regret it!
Try it and love it? I’d love it if you’d give it a rating below and comment.
If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!!
- 4 skin-on bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ⅛ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl combine all the rub ingredients.
- Pat chicken thighs dry with a paper towel and brush the skin-side of each piece with olive oil. Place chicken thighs skin-side down in a single layer on a plate.
- Sprinkle rub mixture evenly over the chicken thighs. Turn the thighs over and evenly sprinkle remaining seasoning mixture on top. Place chicken thighs in the air fryer basket in a single layer, skin-side up.
- Cook in an air fryer 18-22 minutes or until the juices run clean and the center reads 185-190 degrees F.
- Technically the internal temperature needs to be 165 degrees F, but I find that there are no bloody spots around the bones if you cook it a little longer and the chicken falls off the bone tender and juicy.