Get crispy, golden brown buttermilk fried chicken in your Air Fryer! This quick and easy Air Fryer Fried Chicken is tender, juicy, and delicious. If you have a craving and want to skip some fat try it this way.
If you haven’t bought an air fryer yet I think this crispy air fryer crispy chicken will convince you to do it!
Why This Air Fryer Fried Chicken Recipe Works!
- Easier, healthier and just as delicious.
- Crispy skin with juicy meat on the inside!
- No one will guess it isn’t fried.
- No hot oil splattering or extra grease.
Fried Chicken Air Fryer Ingredients
- Chicken – Skin on legs and thighs so they cook evenly.
- Buttermilk – Adds flavor and will help the flour adhere to the chicken for the coating.
- Eggs – Another binding agent.
- Seasonings – A mixture of salt, pepper, garlic power, seasoned salt, paprika and onion powder gives the chicken flavor.
- All-purpose flour – The base of the coating that makes your chicken crunchy.
- Oil – Vegetable, canola or olive oil will work
For this recipe, you can use a mix of chicken pieces or choose your favorite – I really love making fried legs and thighs. Just be sure to buy bone-in, skin-on chicken!
If you choose to use breasts you might need to add additional cooking time for those because they are larger. Always make sure the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
The chicken is coated in buttermilk which it gives it lots of flavor but it also helps the skin crisp up, tenderizes the meat, and just all around makes it so delicious.
The flour is seasoned with a variety of spices like garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and salt and pepper. So much flavor!
How to Make Fried Chicken in Air Fryer
Make the seasoned flour: whisk the flour and seasonings together in a shallow baking dish.
Make the buttermilk mixture: whisk the buttermilk with the eggs, salt and pepper in a seperate shallow baking dish.
Prep the chicken: coat each piece in the flour and then dip it in the buttermilk. Coat in more flour and then place it in the air fryer. Spray it with cooking spray.
Cook it: arrange the pieces in an even layer in the air fryer and cook them for 15 to 20 minutes at 370 degrees. Flip the pieces over, spray them again, and cook for five to ten minutes longer.
The internal temperature needs to reach at least 165 degree F. I prefer my legs at about 185-190 degrees F to make sure you don’t have any bloody spots around the bone. Don’t worry they will still be juicy!
FAQ for Fried Chicken in the Air Fryer
The easiest way to check is with a thermometer. The internal temperature should be at 165 degrees F.
I don’t recommend it because you don’t get the crispy skin!
It’s definitely healthier than regular fried chicken! The only oil you need to use for the air fryer is cooking spray. So, you definitely cut down on the fat and calories when you use your air fryer.
No, you shouldn’t do that! The pieces need to be in an even layer to cook properly. If you can’t fit all of the pieces cook them in batches. You can keep the cooked ones in a warm oven while you finish the rest.
It takes longer to cook it in an air fryer, but it’s less messy and easier to make than frying it. Not to mention healthier!
To get crispy fried chicken in your air fryer make sure to cook it at a high heat and arrange it in a single layer without it overlapping so the heat properly circulates around each piece of chicken.
You’ll also want to spray the chicken with oil before cooking it. When you flip it make sure to spray the other side of the chicken.
Yes! Make sure to spray your air fryer basket with non-stick spray before you place the battered chicken in it to avoid it sticking to the basket.
Yes! It’s the perfect way to cook your chicken!
We fried this chicken at 370 degrees Fahrenheit in the air fryer so it turned out crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.
It will take 15-20 minutes to make air fryer chicken when it is cooked at 370 degrees Fahrenheit.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Fried Chicken
Need some side dish inspiration? Here’s what I love to serve with it:
- A cold and creamy salad pairs perfectly like my classic macaroni salad, bacon ranch potato salad or broccoli salad!
- For potlucks serve it with deviled eggs, dill pickle dip or dill dip with potato chips for dunking!
- We also love it with baked beans, bean salad, or Dill Potato Salad.
Try it and love it? Rate it, please! Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day!
If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!!
MORE GREAT RECIPES TO TRY
- Cream Peas Recipe
- Ham Cream Cheese Pickle Roll Ups
- What is in a Amaretto Sour?
- Diced Ham Recipe
- Breakfast Enchilada Recipe
- Homemade Caramel Rolls
- 2 lbs skin on chicken legs and thighs
- 2 c. buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp seasoned salt
- 1 ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Oil for spraying chicken – vegetable canola or olive oil
- Wash and pat chicken dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a square baking dish whisk together buttermilk, eggs, salt and pepper until well combined.
- In another square baking dish, whisk together flour, and seasonings.
- Coat chicken with flour mixture. Then dip in buttermilk mixture and dredge in flour mixture again.
- Spray air fryer basket with oil. Then place chicken basket making sure to leave room around each piece to allow air to flow. Spray chicken with oil.
- Cook at 370 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, then flip chicken and spray with oil again.
- Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes or until golden brown and cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Serve immediately
- Store leftovers in refrigerator in airtight container
- How do you know when it’s done? The easiest way to check is with a thermometer. The internal temperature should be at 165 degrees F.
- Can I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts? I don’t recommend it because you don’t get the crispy skin!
- Is it healthier to make it in the air fryer? It’s definitely healthier than regular fried chicken! The only oil you need to use for the air fryer is cooking spray. So, you definitely cut down on the fat and calories when you use your air fryer.
- Can I stack the pieces in the air fryer? No, you shouldn’t do that! The pieces need to be in an even layer to cook properly. If you can’t fit all of the pieces cook them in batches. You can keep the cooked ones in a warm oven while you finish the rest.
- Does the air fryer cook the chicken faster than frying? It takes longer to cook it in an air fryer, but it’s less messy and easier to make than frying it. Not to mention healthier!