It’s apple season and this delicious and easy Apple Crumble recipe is perfect. A delicious caramelized apple filling that’s topped with a crumble topping. Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a crowd pleasing fall dessert.
Oh, how I love fall! The amount of cozy treats there are to make during this chilly season just makes me smile. When apple season hits, I just buy pounds and pounds of this tasty fruit to make as many apple desserts as possible. Apple crumble and apple pie are always go-to’s, and I love making apple dumplings too.
Cinnamon and brown sugar are just the best pairing to go with apples. Add a crumbly sugar topping and you’ve got a dessert that is all the heart eyes. Make this simple apple dessert recipe for any of your fall gatherings, or even as a no-hassle dessert for a weekday meal. It’s a fabulous treat that you just have to try out!
Why You’ll Love this Apple Crumble Recipe
- This bakery quality crumble only takes about 45 minutes to make, and most of that is the bake time! Just mix up the apples and the toppings and throw it in a pan. It’s as easy as that.
- All you need to make the best apple crumble recipe is seven simple ingredients. And you likely already have six of them on hand! Just grab a bushel of apples and get started.
- It’s a crowd-pleaser, so bring it to all of the parties and gatherings around the fall season.
Ingredients for Apple Crumble
- All-purpose flour – Flour is the main ingredient that will help make the crumble topping.
- Brown sugar – Use brown sugar in both the topping and the apple mixture for the richest sweet flavor.
- Cinnamon – A dash of this warming spice make this apple dessert extra cozy and comforting.
- Butter – Use salted or unsalted butter in this recipe, both will work just fine!
- Cornstarch – To thicken the sweetened apple mixture, use a bit of cornstarch. It will help make a sticky syrup like mixture once the apples have baked.
- Baking powder – You may think a crumble doesn’t need rising agent, but adding a bit of baking powder helps to ensure the topping remains crumbly and fluffy.
- Granny smith apples – While a lot of baked apple desserts use sweet apples, a crumble does best with the slight tartness that granny smith apples provide.
How to Make Apple Crumble
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, then grease an 8×8 or 9×9 square baking dish and set it to the side.
Place melted butter, brown sugar, flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Then mix together and place into the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.
Peel each apple and thinly slice them. Then place the apples into a second large mixing bowl and toss with cinnamon, brown sugar, and cornstarch.
Dump the spiced apples into the previously prepared baking dish, then spread it into an even layer. Remove the crumble topping from the refrigerator and drop it by spoonful on top of the apple mixture.
Place the apple crumble into a preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown on top and the apples are tender.
Allow it to cool for a few minutes, then serve!
How to Store Leftovers of this Apple Crumble Recipe
FRIDGE: Either wrap the baking dish tightly in plastic wrap, or carefully transfer leftovers to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
FREEZER: Store in the freezer for about 2-3 months. Make sure it’s wrapped tightly or stored in an airtight container.
What to Serve with Apple Crumble
Serve this warm apple crumble recipe with a big scoop of cold ice cream or a heaping serving oh homemade whipped cream. A drizzle of homemade caramel sauce is just dreamy on top of this apple dessert too!
What is the difference between apple crumble and apple crisp?
An apple crisp usually has oats or nuts in the sugary sweet topping. On the other hand, a crumble is typically a streusel-like topping that is just sugar, butter, flour and spices. The two are similar, but the flavor and texture of the topping often turns out a bit different!
What type of apples can I use in this apple crumble?
If you don’t have granny smith apples on hand, not to worry! You can really use any variety of apple that you want. A few of my favorites are red delicious, honeycrisp, pink lady, and Fuji. Grab any apples that look yummy and get to baking!
- Don’t forget to spray the baking dish before adding the apples and topping! You wouldn’t want the topping to stick to the sides of the pan.
- When slicing the apples, make sure they are the same thickness so that they will bake evenly.
- If you don’t have an 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish, double this recipe and then use a 9×13 pan!
A sugary sweet delight made with the best apples of the season! You’ll love this easy apple crumble recipe.
More Apple Treats You’ll Love
- This Easy Apple Turnover Recipe will have you dreaming of apple desserts in your sleep!
- Apple Monkey Bread is a yummy fall twist on the classic treat that everyone loves.
- These Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars are down-right drool worthy. Seriously, you’ve gotta try them!
- Caramel Apple Dump Cake is the easy fall dessert of your dreams.
- 7 cups granny smith apples peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup butter melted
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- vanilla ice cream for serving optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 inch pan and set aside.
- Prepare the topping by mixing the melted butter, brown sugar, flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Place in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.
- Peel and thinly slice the apples. Place apples in a large mixing bowl with cinnamon, brown sugar and cornstarch. Toss to combine.
- Dump the apple mixture into a prepared baking dish and spread it into an even layer. Remove the topping from the refrigerator and evenly drop by spoonful on top of the apple mixture in the baking dish.
- Place apple crumble in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the topping is golden brown, the apples are tender and juices are bubbling around the edges.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve warm with vanilla ice cream if desired.