Chicken wings doesn’t get easier to make then these quick Crock Pot Chicken Wings! The slow cooker does all the work making this appetizer stress-free especially when hosting a party. Give them a few minutes under the broiler to get that sticky BBQ sauce that’s finger lickin’ good!
For parties, my favorite way to make chicken wings is in my crock pot! It’s so easy and with a couple of steps, you can have saucy, sticky, chicken wings that are so good. They are always a hit!
Why This Recipe Works
- You can use fresh or frozen chicken wings for this recipe! Just be sure to read through all of the tips so you get the best results.
- I like to season them with a dry rub first and then they are coated in BBQ sauce. The flavor is amazing.
- Once they go in the crock pot, they are hands-off! Let it do the work – you can cook them on high or on low depending on when you want to serve them.
- I’m sharing the special step for making sticky wings – you put them under the broiler before serving them. It makes the best wings – no one ever guesses that they were cooked in a slow cooker.
I love to use my crock pot to make party snacks and appetizers and these BBQ wings are always a favorite. You are going to love them, too!
- I can cook three pounds of Chicken Wings in my crock pot. You can use fresh or frozen!
- The Dry Rub is made with dried oregano, chili powder, smoked paprika, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. You can also buy our dry rub here!
- Use your favorite store-bought BBQ Sauce.
How to Make Them
Dry Rub: Combine all of the ingredients for the dry rub (You can also buy our dry rub here!) in a small bowl. Season the wings on all sides and then place them in the slow cooker.
Sauce: Add the BBQ sauce and stir the wings to coat them evenly.
Cook: Secure the lid and cook the wings on low for three to four hours or on high for one to two hours. The wings are done when the juices run clear and the internal temperature is 165°F.
Broil: Place the wire rack on the baking sheet. Lay the wings on the rack in an even layer and brush them with BBQ sauce. Broil them for a few minutes until the sauce is sticky and caramelized.
Using Frozen Wings: You can cook frozen wings in the crock pot. They will release a lot more liquid than fresh ones which will dilute the BBQ sauce. When they are done, the liquid will be at the bottom so go ahead and discard it, add more BBQ sauce and then place the wings under the broiler.
Rub and Sauce: I love my homemade rub, but when I am in a hurry sometimes I use premade chicken wing seasoning. Look for it at the store if you want a shortcut. We also like to try different BBQ sauces to change the flavor.
Serving Tip: You can wash out the crock pot and then place the wings back inside and keep them on warm during your party.
Add a Dipping Sauce! We love to dunk our wings in ranch dip or blue cheese dressing! Or add some more BBQ sauce on the side.
For crock pot wings, once they are done cooking place them under the broiler for a few minutes. This will caramelize the sauce and dry them out so they aren’t soggy.
Yes, you can cook them ahead in the sauce and then keep them in the refrigerator. Brush them with more sauce and then place them under the broiler before you serve them.
Yes, they will work. Just be aware there will be liquid in the bottom of the slow cooker which you will need to discard before you broiler them.
Sticky, delicious crock pot chicken wings will be the hit of your party! They are so easy, so good, and everyone always asks for more. Enjoy!
More Crock Pot Appetizers
- Ranch Mushrooms are so buttery and flavored with ranch! They are a super easy appetizer you can make in your slow cooker.
- Everyone loves Buffalo Chicken Dip and you can make it in your crock pot or in the oven!
- Grape Jelly Meatballs only have three ingredients and you only need a few minutes to prep them. They are great for parties!
- No one can resist L’il Smokies and mine are so easy you can make a double batch!
- 3 lbs chicken wings
- 1 c. BBQ sauce divided
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ⅛ tsp ground oregano
- In a small bowl mix together all rub ingredients.
- Season raw chicken wings with rub on both sides.
- Spray the bottom and side of a crock pot with nonstick cooking spray. Then place seasoned chicken wings on the bottom.
- Pour ½ cup of BBQ sauce and toss chicken wings until fully coated.
- Cover the crock pot and cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 1-2 hours or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove from the crock pot and place chicken wings on a wire rack with a lined baking sheet. Brush with ½ c. BBQ sauce and broil on high for 2-3 minutes or until BBQ sauce is caramelized. Flip wings half way through if desired.