These Crock Pot Chicken Legs start with an easy homemade rub are brushed with BBQ sauce and then broiled at the end. The result is tender, juicy chicken drumsticks that are finger-lickin’ good!
If you’re craving BBQ flavors, you can make the most delicious BBQ chicken drumsticks in your crock pot! No grill or complicated cooking steps required. This is an easy recipe that combines a delicious spice rub with BBQ sauce to make the best BBQ chicken legs.
Why This Recipe Works
- You can prep the chicken in the morning and let it cook for hours in the slow cooker.
- Your favorite BBQ sauce plus my spice rub gives the drumsticks tons of flavor!
- My secret for the best chicken legs is to put them under the broiler before serving them. It crisps up the skin and caramelizes the BBQ sauce.
- Simple ingredients and a two-step cooking process make this the easiest recipe. I know you’re going to love it!
The spice rub is made with simple pantry spices – I bet you already have them on hand! Sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, chili powder, and onion powder are all you need.
Choose your favorite store-bought BBQ sauce for this recipe. You’ll use it for cooking the chicken in the crockpot and glazing the drumsticks before they go under the broiler.
Don’t forget the chicken legs! I use a 4-pound package for this recipe.
Easy Crock Pot Chicken Legs
Season: Mix the spices in a small bowl and then rub it all over the chicken legs.
Sauce: Place the chicken in the slow cooker and pour some of the sauce over the top. Turn the chicken pieces so they are evenly coated.
Slow Cook: Cook them on low for 5 to 6 hours. Or, you can cook them on high for 3 to 4 hours.
Glaze and Broil
Once the chicken legs are cooked through, line a baking sheet with foil and turn the broiler on to high heat.
Place a baking rack on the lined baking sheet. Place the drumsticks on top in an even layer. Brush them with more BBQ sauce.
Place the baking sheet under the broiler and cook the chicken for 3 to 5 minutes. Turn them over, brush them with more sauce, and broil again until the skin is crispy and the glaze is caramelized. Serve them hot from the oven!
Add These Side Dishes
Here are some delicious sides to go with crock pot chicken legs! Or, browse all of my side dish recipes for even more ideas.
- Make my Best Potato Salad – it goes great with the BBQ flavors!
- Juicy, buttery Corn on the Cob is always a winner!
- Hasselback Potatoes with all the toppings are delicious, too.
The should be at least 165°F. The easiest way to measure this is with a meat thermometer. If you don’t have one, you can tell when they are done because the juices will run clear. You can also cut into one to ensure it’s cooked all the way through.
Yes, you can! You may need to adjust the cooking time depending on how big they are.
Yes, you can cook frozen ones but you will need to increase the cooking time by approximately an hour.
BBQ drumsticks will keep two to three days in the refrigerator. You can warm them up in the microwave or enjoy them cold!
Juicy BBQ drumsticks is such an easy crock pot recipe! I love this recipe because it goes with so many different sides, I keep it in my regular dinner rotation. Once you try it, you will, too – I know it will be a hit with your family.
More Crock Pot Dinner Recipes
- Mississippi Pot Roast is an easy meal you can make in your slow cooker! It’s perfect when you’re craving hearty comfort food.
- Assemble Cranberry Pork Loin in the morning and let it cook all day for a delicious dinner that night!
- Make a batch of Vegetable Beef Soup for a cozy meal! It’s great with some Breadsticks on the side.
I’d love it you would rate this recipe!! A five-star rating will make my day!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats that way I’m sure to see your pictures!!
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 4 lb chicken legs
- 2 c. BBQ sauce
- Spray the inside of the crock pot with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl combine the rub ingredients until completely mixed. Rub spice mixture over the chicken legs and then place them in the slow cooker in layers.
- Pour 1 c. of the BBQ sauce over the top of chicken legs. Gently toss to coat.
- Cook on low 5-6 hours or on high 3-4 hours.
- When the chicken legs are done cooking, preheat the broiler to high.
- Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil. Place a wire rack on top of the sheet pan.
- Remove chicken drumsticks from the crock pot and place them on a wire rack. Brush the drumsticks with remaining BBQ sauce. Broil 3-5 minutes or until the edges are starting. Turn the chicken legs over, brush with remaining BBQ sauce and broil that side for 3-5 minutes or until the edges are starting.
- Serve immediately.