This Easy Skillet Beef Pot Pie Recipe is the ultimate comfort food dinner recipe made easy! You’ll love this hearty, cozy dinner – it’s sure to be a hit with the whole family!
And, yes, it’s EASY! Maybe pot pie isn’t something you think you can have on the table in about 30 minutes, but this skillet pot pie is just that. You don’t have to make pie crust because we are taking a shortcut and using canned biscuits.
It’s filled with quick-cooking ground beef and vegetables in an easy homemade gravy and topped with biscuits. Plus, it’s made in one skillet!
Easy Ground Beef Pot Pie
Instead of simmering tougher cuts of meat like traditional beef pot pies let’s use ground beef which cuts down the cook time drastically! Most days I don’t have time to babysit dinner and I’m assuming you don’t either. So, easy yet comforting dishes are a must.
This pot pie is really a win-win: you get all the savory flavors and golden brown flaky crust, but served up in a skillet with hardly any clean-up. You have to try it!
- Ground beef – I like to use leaner ground beef so the filling is not too greasy. You could also use ground turkey if you’d like.
- Chopped onion – White, yellow, or red onion are fine. Grab the frozen diced onion and keep it in the freezer!
- Garlic – Minced garlic cloves
- All-purpose flour – To make the homemade gravy.
- Milk – for a richer gravy use whole milk or you can use 2% if you prefer.
- Beef broth – For a more flavorful gravy use beef stock. If you are watching your sodium grab the low sodium beef broth.
- Canned mixed vegetables – choose one with a mix of carrots, potatoes, peas, and corn
- Canned biscuits – You could also top it with a layer of crescent rolls or puff pastry to give it more of the pot pie feel.
- Herbs – Dried thyme or fresh thyme leaves give it so much flavor!
Other Options for the Crust: Instead of biscuits, you can use refrigerated crescent roll dough or even thawed puff pastry sheets. Or, pick up a refrigerated pie crust – just be sure to cut slits in the top before you bake the pot pie.
Other Options for the Vegetables: Instead of canned feel free to use frozen vegetables. You will need about three cups and you don’t need to thaw them first.
u003culu003ern tu003cliu003eu003ca href=u0022https://amzn.to/35HL3yiu0022 target=u0022_blanku0022 rel=u0022nofollow noopeneru0022u003eLarge oven-safe skilletu003c/au003e or u003ca href=u0022https://amzn.to/3C6ISQGu0022 target=u0022_blanku0022 rel=u0022nofollow noopeneru0022u003ecast-iron skilletu003c/au003eu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eu003ca href=u0022https://amzn.to/3HuTnP7u0022 target=u0022_blanku0022 rel=u0022nofollow noopeneru0022u003eMeasuring cups and spoonsu003c/au003eu003c/liu003ernu003c/ulu003e
How to Make Pot Pie in a Skillet
Brown: In a large oven-safe skillet brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic until the meat is no longer pink. Drain off the excess fat if needed.
Thicken: Sprinkle the flour over the beef mixture and stir to combine. Stir in the milk and broth and simmer until the liquid is thickened.
Assemble: Stir in the vegetables and then place the biscuits on top. You can leave them whole or cut them into smaller pieces before placing them on top. Sprinkle the thyme over the top.
Bake: Place the skillet pot pie in the oven and bake it for 20 minutes at 400°F or until the biscuits are golden.
I don’t have an oven-safe skillet. What else can I use?
You can make the pot pie filling in a skillet and then transfer it to a casserole dish. Cover it with the biscuits and bake it as instructed.
What else can you add to beef pot pie?
Mushrooms would work really well! You can also add other herbs like fresh parsley or dried herbs like oregano. Sometimes I add a few tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce to amp up the savory flavor!
How long do leftovers keep?
Store them in an airtight container and they will keep for up to three days in the refrigerator. The biscuit topping might soften, but it will still be delicious!
You will love how easy it is to make pot pie with ground beef! Not to mention it’s a one-pan meal – dinner will be on the table in no time with hardly any clean-up. I know you will love it as much as we do – enjoy!
More Easy Comfort Food Recipes
- Easy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie Puffs
- Hamburger Soup
- Beef and Broccoli
- Cheeseburger Pie
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Meatloaf
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk (any type)
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth/stock
- 2 (15oz) cans mixed vegetables, drained
- 8 biscuits (homemade or store-bought)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large oven-going skillet brown ground beef with onion and garlic until no longer pink. Drain grease if needed. Sprinkle with flour and stir to mix well. Stir in salt, pepper, milk, broth, and simmer until slightly thickened. Stir in vegetables.
- Top with biscuits and sprinkle with thyme if desired. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.