Treat yourself to a delicious Halloween hot chocolate recipe with a festive Halloween twist! It has a mysterious purple hue and is topped with whipped cream, gummy worms, candy eyes, and sprinkles. It’s a spooky and delightful drink that kids will absolutely adore!
Halloween is at the end of October, which is most often very cold depending on where you live. However, we seem to have very few warming drinks that keep in line with the spooky themed holiday. This Halloween hot chocolate solves that problem! After going door to door for candy to your heart’s content, warm up at home with a cozy mug of spooky hot chocolate.
This tasty drink is perfect for parties and movie nights too! Pair with dracula dentures and monster Oreo pops and you’ve got the best Halloween snack set ever. A big mug of rich hot chocolate with spooky toppings is the absolute best way to top off the Halloween holiday. You’re going to love it!
Why You’ll Love Halloween Hot Chocolate
- It only takes 11 minutes to make a batch of Halloween hot cocoa with four servings. Easy peasy and oh so sweet!
- This warming beverage is fun for kids and adults alike. Serve it at any party and it will be a crowd hit!
- You can easily double or triple this recipe, just be sure to divide large batches into separate pots. Don’t scald the chocolate!
Ingredients for Halloween Hot Chocolate
- White chocolate chips – White chocolate chips make the creamiest and most rich hot chocolate ever. It’s a total game changer!
- Candy eyes – Keep candy eye balls on hand and you can use them in countless Halloween recipes to easily give them a spooky touch.
- Whole milk – Hot cocoa is always better when made with whole milk, but you can use 2% milk or 1% if you prefer.
- Vanilla extract – Use a splash of vanilla extract to add a lovely layer of cozy flavor to this delicious Halloween hot cocoa.
- Gummy worms – Gummy worms add the creep crawlies of spookiness to this fun drink! You can use sour worms or regular, both are perfectly tasty.
- Whipped cream – Either grab some whipped cream from the grocery store, or make your own.
- Food coloring – I use purple food coloring in this recipe, but you can use any color you want!
- Halloween sprinkles – The last little touch that makes all the difference. Add your favorite Halloween sprinkles to the top of your hot chocolate.
How to Make this Halloween Hot Chocolate Recipe
- In a medium saucepan, add white chocolate chips, milk and vanilla extract. Heat the chocolate mixture over low heat and continuously stir until the hot chocolate is melted and warmed through.
- Add food coloring to the cocoa until it becomes a vibrant purple.
- Once mixed together and melted well, pour the hot cocoa into four separate mugs.
- Top with whipped cream and then add gummy worms, candy eyes and sprinkles on top.
How to Store Halloween Hot Chocolate
You can store any Halloween hot cocoa that does not have toppings. Allow it to completely cool to room temperature and then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stove top for best results.
What to Serve with Halloween Hot Chocolate
Want a snack that is a bit more substantial? Make some ham and cheese rollups!
What other colors of food coloring can I use?
Purple food coloring seems to be the most appealing color, but you can use different colors too! Orange food coloring would be fun, and so would green. Make things really spooky with black food coloring…but be careful with that one since it can stain a lot more easily.
Can I use hot cocoa mix instead of white chocolate chips?
You can absolutely use regular powdered cocoa mix if you prefer. However, it won’t color well, so just omit the purple food coloring. But top each mug with all of the spooky toppings and you still have a wonderful themed dessert!
- Stir continuously while melting the chocolate with milk so that it does not scald.
- Want some spiced hot cocoa? Add some cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove. You could add a dash of pumpkin pie spice too!
- If you are making this Halloween hot cocoa for a bunch of adults, spike it for an extra fun beverage.
The spookiest warm beverage ever, and it’s scary good! Make Halloween hot chocolate for any of your Halloween events, or simply as a fun snack.
More Warm Beverages You’ll Love
- Skip the over-priced drive thru coffee and make a crazy good Caramel Latte in the comfort of your own home. I’m all for recipes that keep me in my PJs!
- Got some sickness going around the house? Make this Copycat Starbucks Medicine Ball Tea to knock it out!
- Homemade Eggnog is far better than anything you can buy at the grocery store. This easy recipe is addictively good!
- Give your coffee some holiday cheer and make this cozy Christmas Coffee.
- 4 cups whole milk
- 11 ounces white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- purple food coloring
- 1 can whip cream
- 12 gummy worms
- Candy eyes
- Halloween sprinkles
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, chocolate chips, and vanilla. Heat it over low heat and stir until all the chocolate is melted and warmed. Add in enough food coloring till you get a vibrate purple.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into four cups.
- Top them with the whipped cream, gummy worms, candy eyes, and sprinkles.