Baked Chicken Parmesan
Quick and easy Baked Chicken Parmesan is the perfect weeknight dinner recipe. Serve this breaded chicken over a bed of spaghetti noodles, zoodles or pair it with a side of steamed vegetables. The chicken is so juicy and tender!
Bake Chicken Parmesan is a favorite dinner at our house – the kids love it, Jason and I love it, and I love how easy it is to make.
This a great weeknight dinner because it’s simple and easy to prepare – add some pasta, a salad, or veggies on the side for a complete meal!
Why This Recipe Works
- Unlike restaurant versions, my homemade chicken Parm is oven-baked instead of fried so it’s definitely lighter and healthier.
- The chicken is coated in a crispy panko coating that has great flavor and locks in all the juices so the meat is tender and delicious.
- You don’t need any fancy equipment – just a sheet pan, a couple of bowls, and an oven!
I love chicken Parmesan so much – I have versions you can make in a crockpot and air fryer, too! So now I have this oven-baked recipe, and the collection is complete.
- Olive oil
- Chicken breasts – Make sure they are similar sizes, boneless and skinless
- Large eggs
- Italian panko bread crumbs – if you can only find plain panko, you can season it with a couple of teaspoons of Italian seasonings.
- Grated Parmesan cheese – for the best flavor, buy a wedge of cheese and grate it for the best fresh flavor.
- Spices – Dried oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Marinara sauce – use your favorite jarred sauce to make it easy!
- Shredded mozzarella – low moisture mozzarella works best. I wouldn’t use fresh mozzarella for this recipe.
- Minced parsley – this is optional for garnish. It adds a nice pop of color when you serve it!
How to Make It
Prep: For the best tender and juicy chicken, pound each piece, so they have the same thickness. This will ensure the meat cooks evenly. It also tenderizes the meat, so it’s really delicious with the best texture.
Breading Bowls: Set up the breading stations. Mix the panko with the seasonings and Parmesan cheese in one shallow bowl. Beat the eggs in a second shallow bowl.
Breading: Coat each piece in the egg and then coat it evenly in the panko mixture. Place the breaded pieces on a prepared sheet pan and spray them with cooking spray.
Bake: Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake the chicken for 20 to 25 minutes or until it is cooked through. Check the temperature with a meat thermometer – it should be 165°F in the thickest part of the chicken.
Add the Sauce and Cheese! Turn he chicken over and spoon some sauce over the top of each piece. Sprinkle the cheese over the sauce and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling hot.
Garnish: For serving, sprinkle minced parsley over the top and a little more grated Parmesan cheese!
Make it a Meal
There are lots of ways to serve chicken Parmesan! Here are some amazing side dishes if you are looking for ideas:
Pasta: Spaghetti, linguine, fettuccine, penne… any pasta you like will pair well with this dish!
Veggies: Make it a lighter dinner with a veggie on the side. Air fryer asparagus or broccoli are great choices and easy to make. Or try some zucchini noodles! Roasted cauliflower or roasted potatoes are also delicious. For a real comfort food dinner, serve it with mashed potatoes!
Salad: Toss together a simple green salad with some veggies and your favorite dressing for an easy, light side.
Breadsticks: Make a batch of my easy breadsticks or try my copycat Olive Garden breadsticks!
Other ideas: You can also serve it with cooked rice or a pasta side dish like Parmesan orzo or garlic butter noodles.
I can’t wait for you to add this baked chicken Parmesan to your weekly meal plan. It’s so easy and so delicious it might end up in your permanent dinner rotation! It’s definitely on my list – I hope you love it!
More Italian-Style Recipes
- Shrimp Pasta is better than any restaurant version and ready in 30 minutes! Shrimp with tomatoes, basil, and Parmesan cheese is a delicious dinner.
- Use your Instant Pot to make amazing Spaghetti and Meatballs. This classic pasta dish is always a family favorite.
- Italian Meatloaf is a hearty, comforting dinner. Tender meatloaf stuffed with cheese and topped with sauce will be a hit when you make it!
- Skip the pizza and make a Homemade Calzone instead! The dough is stuffed with favorite pizza toppings and baked – slice it for a fun twist on pizza night.
- Spaghetti alla Carbonara is a quick and easy pasta dish with a light sauce, cheese, and bacon!
- Baked Rigatoni is a hearty, comforting pasta dinner your family will love!
Do you love this easy recipe?! Rate it, please!!!? Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day!
If you snap a photo, please be sure to tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!!
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!
Baked Chicken Parmesan
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 large eggs
- 1 c. Italian panko bread crumbs
- ¼ c. parmesan cheese fresh grated
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 c. marinara sauce
- 1 ½ c. shredded mozzarella
- 2 Tbsp minced parsley optional for garnish
- Spaghetti to serve with optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Adjust rack in oven so it is in the second from top position.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Brush with olive oil. Set aside.
- Place the chicken breasts, one at a time, into a gallon sized zip top bag, seal it, then pound it to an even thickness using a meat pounder or a rolling pin. You can also place the chicken breasts between two layers of cling wrap instead of a zip top bag if you prefer.
- Remove chicken breasts from the bag and pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel.
- In one shallow dish, mix together panko bread crumbs, grated parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and black pepper.
- In another shallow dish, whisk the egg.
- Dip one chicken breast into the egg, then into the bread crumb mixture. Make sure the chicken breast is fully coated in the crumb mixture, and gently press with your hand to help the crumbs stick to the chicken, flip and repeat with the other side. Place chicken breast on the prepared baking sheet, repeat with remaining pieces of chicken. Spray the top of the chicken with non-stick spray.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven on the second from the top rack. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. The cooking time will depend on the size of chicken breast and thickness.
- Flip chicken, pour 1/4 cup of marinara sauce over each piece of chicken, then top with grated Mozzarella cheese. Place back in the oven. Turn on the broiler. Broil for 2-4 minutes, until the cheese is melted, bubbly and golden brown and edges of chicken are browning.
- Remove from the oven, garnish with chopped parsley if desired.
- Serve on top of prepared spaghetti if desired.
Leave a Comment