Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Soft, tender and moist Banana Chocolate Chips muffins are the perfect treat to start your day. Make them for breakfast or an afternoon snack. They make the perfect grab and go breakfast for busy weekdays or an after school treat! So easy to make and freeze great.
Lighty, fluffy muffins with a hint of banana and chocolate! I mean, how can’t we love that for breakfast? Especially when they are easy to make and the perfect grab and go breakfast!
I’m always on the run in the morning and I love breakfasts that are easy to make and I can hand off to the kids when we are walking out the door. Plus, who doesn’t have bananas that need to be used up?
Why This Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe Works:
- Perfect way to use ripe bananas that are laying on your counter.
- Tender, moist and sweet muffins studded with with chocolate chips that the kids will love.
- Keep great and can be frozen for easy breakfasts on the go.
- All you need is pantry staples and you’ll be enjoying these easy chocolate chip banana muffins!
I also love that these Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are made with pantry staples! No need to run to the grocery store to get ingredients that you will only use once.
Ingredients Needed for Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Bananas – Make sure they are as ripe or overripe as you can find. This makes them sweeter!
- Sugar – White sugar to give the perfect amount of sweetness to this muffin.
- Egg – Binds the muffin together.
- Baking soda & powder – Gives them their fluff and tallness.
- Flour – For this recipe we used all-purpose flour and have not tested it with other flours.
- Butter – I used salted butter in this recipe, but you can use unsalted butter, just add some salt to the recipe to bring out the sweetness.
- Chocolate chips – The perfect addition of sweetness. Either regular or mini chocolate chips work great. Remember to add a few on top of the batter after you put it in the muffin tin for an extra special touch.
Substitutions & Additions
- If chocolate chips in your muffins aren’t your thing please feel free to leave them out.
- If you’d like to add chopped nuts that would be excellent too!
- Add a little cinnamon in the fall for an extra special twist.
Make a double batch and stick them in the freezer for a great breakfast that’s ready to go whenever you are craving a sweet treat in the morning. The options are endless!
How To Make Easy Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Prep – Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line muffin pan with muffin liners or spay with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Mix wet ingredients – In a large mixing combine mashed bananas, sugar and egg until mixed. Stir in melted butter until combined.
- Mix dry ingredients – In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients.
- Mix – Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake – Using a 1/4 c. measuring cup divide batter into prepared muffin pan. Bake in preheated oven at 425 degrees F for 5 minutes then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake an additional 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
Baking at a high temperature for 5 minutes then reducing the temperature to a lower temperature after that gives you that high, perfect dome on your muffins!
Pro Tips for Easy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins!
- Ripe bananas are a must. In fact, the riper the better because they add more sweetness and make the muffin more moist.
- Splurge and get high quality chocolate. You’ll notice the difference!
- Never over mix muffin batter. If you over mix the batter a muffin will have a denser texture. The key is to mix just until the flour streaks disappear.
- We recommend filling each muffin cavity in your pan about ¾ full.
- To get a taller muffin follow our directions to bake at a higher heat (425 degrees F) for 5 minutes then lower the temperature to 350 degrees F to finish baking.
To check if the muffin is done insert a toothpick in the middle of the muffin and if it comes out clean with no wet batter they are done.
Want to get your bananas ripe quickly? Place them on a baking sheet and bake with the skin on for 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Let them cool slightly before serving. You can also place them in a brown paper sack for a day or two.
How To Store Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Store any leftover muffins in an airtight container after they have cooled completely. They will last up to two days stored at room temperature.
To get a longer life out of them, store freshly baked muffins that have cooled to room temperature in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
To freeze the muffins, cool completely, then place your muffins in a single layer on a dish or baking sheet. Place in freezer for 30 minutes or until they are frozen solid. Then place the frozen muffins in an airtight freezer bag being sure to squeeze out any extra air to prevent freezer burn and dryness.
Thaw frozen muffins in refrigerator or on the countertop. You can also place them in the microwave for a few seconds.
How to Freeze Overripe Bananas
A little trick on that leftover bananas. Did you know you can freeze them? I do it all the time!
If I want to freeze them to use in muffins, banana bread or something like that I just throw them in the freezer whole, with the peeling on.
If I want to use them for smoothies then I peel them and break them in half, you can always quarter them, and throw them in a Ziploc bag. Then when I want a smoothie I just throw them in the blender cup and I’m good to go. Plus, a frozen banana in a smoothie is way better than a room temp one!
When it’s time to use them thaw them in the refrigerator overnight or defrost quickly in the microwave. Use just like you would a fresh banana in your recipes.
More delicious recipes to pair with your chocolate chip banana muffins for an easy breakfast or brunch!
- Eggs: These muffins pair great with Scrambled Eggs, Bacon Egg Muffins or Ham & Cheese Eggs Muffins!
- Pancakes: You can’t beat our Sheet Pan Pancakes for crowds! Skip the box mix and make these easy Homemade Pancakes from scratch or if you are celebrating something special Funfetti Pancakes are the perfect addition.
- Smoothies: Kids and adults flip for a Strawberry Banana Smoothie. Another great option is a Fresh Orange Smoothie!
- Beverages: Skip the coffee shop and make a Java Chip Frappuccino at home! Serving these for the holidays? Then make our Christmas Coffee!
More Ways to Use Ripe Bananas!
- There’s nothing like a warm slice of banana bread slathered with butter!
- Mix your two favorites with this delicious Zucchini Banana Bread.
- If you need a hearty breakfast to keep you full until lunch try Peanut Butter Banana Crock Pot Oatmeal.
- Another great muffin is Peanut Butter Banana Muffins.
More Recipes to Try
- Easy Soft Sugar Cookies
- Taco Salad with Doritos Recipe
- Garlic Chicken Legs
- Dirt in a Cup
- Hamburger and Cheese Dip
- How long does frozen corn take to boil?
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!
Easy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 3 large bananas mashed
- ½ c. white sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ c. all-purpose flour
- ⅓ c. butter melted
- ½ c. chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line muffin pan with baking cups or spray them lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine bananas, sugar and egg. Add melted butter and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine dry muffin ingredients. Add to wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Lastly, add chocolate chips and stir until just combined.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup divide up batter into prepared muffin pan.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 5 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake 15-19 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Leave a Comment