French Dip Sandwiches are a delicious and easy dinner when you are busy! The roast beef is slow cooked all day in your crock pot so it’s falling apart tender when you pile it high in your toasted hoagie roll with melted provolone cheese. Don’t forget to dunk it in the salty au jus to finish it off.
The BEST French Dip Sandwich!
I decided to introduce you to this Crockpot French Dip Sandwich! Everyone seems to love my Instant Pot French Dip Sandwich and they are easy to make in the slow cooker too!
Personally, I’m such a sucker for that toasted hoagie bun that I’ll take these any day of the week.
What’s not to love about a buttered and toasted bun piled high with fall-apart tender roast beef and that melted Provolone cheese?
There’s nothing that is bad about that! Plus, the fact they cook all day in the crock pot makes it even better! I love coming home to a meal that’s almost completely done and I can serve it quick to my family!
Tips on making French Dip Sandwiches!
Here are a few of the more frequently asked questions.
If you have a question that isn’t answered please leave us a comment below and we will do our best to answer it!
Ingredients Needed to make French Dip Sandwiches
- Chuck roast or bottom round beef roast
- Onion powder
- Olive oil
- Dry au jus mix
- Garlic powder
- Provolone cheese
- Hoagie rolls
- Freshly chopped parsley optional
How to make French Dip Sandwiches
- The first thing you want to do is remove you roast from the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. After that you will season it with salt, pepper and onion powder.
- To sear it add your olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Once that is hot place roast in the skillet and sear on all sides.
- Remove the roast from the skillet and place it in the slow cooker. Sprinkle the Au Jus seasoning over the roast, then pour beer over it. Place lid on slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- When the 8 hour cooking time is up you will want to transfer the meat to a plate and shred it. It’s usually so tender it just falls apart!
- Next, set your oven to broil and put the hoagie rolls on a baking sheet.
- Mix the butter and garlic powder together in small bowl and brush overs rolls. Then broil the roast on low heat until just golden brown.
- Remove from oven and pile with shredded meat and top with cheese. Return to broil until cheese is melted.
- Top sandwiches with fresh parsley if desired.
- Strain the liquid left in the crock pot with fine mesh strainer and serve with sandwiches for dipping!
What to do with leftover roast beef
Here are a few quick ideas to use up leftover roast beef if you have it left! Of course, you can always make
You can make a quick Minute Steak Sandwich by frying thin slices of your roast beef in a skillet then putting them on top of a baguette. Top that with sauteed onions and cheese then toast it under the broiler.
Another great idea is making a Sloppy Joe twist on it. Simply chop up the roast beef. Then simmer with chopped onions, garlic, tomato sauce and light brown sugar to make a sloppy joe. Pile it on top of a sandwich bun!
Personally, I’m really boring and I love it cold, piled with ketchup on a bun. It’s one of those comfort foods I remember from childhood!
How do I make the Au Jus?
Super simple! It’s actually the liquid left in the crock pot from cooking the roast.
I highly recommend getting a fine mesh strainer and straining the liquid to get any pieces of out of it. Just place the strainer over a bowl and pour the liquid through the strainer and the bowl under it will collect the juice!
Then I serve it in my favorite Ramekin dishes so it’s easy to dip your sandwich in!
More easy Crock Pot recipes!
- Crock Pot Pulled Pork
- Crock Pot Hot Ham & Cheese Sandwiches
- Crock Pot Smokey BBQ Shredded Chicken Sandwich
Easy Side Dishes to serve with your French Dip Sandwich!
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS FRENCH DIP SANDWICH RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time I post a new video!
Try it and love it? Rate it, please!!! 😋Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day! If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!!
French Dip Sandwich Recipe
- 3-4 lb chuck roast or bottom round beef roast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1.25 oz pkg dry au jus mix
- 12 oz beer
- 3 Tbsp butter melted
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- 8 hoagie rolls
- 1 Tbsp freshly chopped parsley optional
- Let roast rest at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before searing.
- Season roast with salt, pepper and onion powder.
- Add olive oil to skillet and medium heat. Sear roast on all sides in skillet.
- Place roast in Crock Pot. Sprinkle the Au jus packet over the roast, then pour beer over the roast. Close lid and set to cook on low for 8 hours.
- After cooking time is done remove lid and transfer meat to serving plate, shred meat.
- Set oven to broil and place sandwich rolls on a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl combine butter and garlic powder. Brush over rolls and broil under low heat for 3-4 minutes, just until golden brown.
- Pile meat onto rolls and top with cheese. Return to broiler and heat just until cheese has started to melt.
- Top sandwiches with freshly chopped parsley.
- Strain liquid left in crock pot with a fine mesh strainer. Serve strained Au jus with sandwiches for dipping.