Delicious Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs are juicy, tender and flavorful chicken cooked in your Crock Pot. This easy dinner is perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends.
Slow cooker chicken thighs are a fabulous easy dinner that you can make ahead of time. Pop this flavorful chicken recipe into the slow cooker in the afternoon and have dinner ready to go on the table by dinner time.
The crock pot is a revolutionary thing when it comes to dinner. I think whoever invented the crock pot may just be my best friend. I love that I can set and forget anything I put in the slow cooker and it always turns out delicious.
Crock pot chicken pot pie is a favorite during the winter months and crock pot chicken wings are a go-to appetizer for game day parties. The slow cooker can do anything, including making the most juicy and tender chicken thighs you’ve ever tasted!
Why You’ll Love Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs
- This chicken thighs recipe is great if you’re into meal prep! You can make 4-5 chicken thighs at once and they store well and reheat well too.
- You only need 6 simple ingredients to make these flavorful and tender chicken thighs. Nothing fancy needed!
- Crock Pot chicken thighs are versatile and can be used for so many different things. Eat them as a protein for dinner, or even shred them and use it as shredded chicken in a variety of different recipes.
Ingredients for Crock Pot Chicken Thighs
- Bone-in chicken thighs – Bone-in chicken thighs are best when cooking in the slow cooker because they stay very juicy and tender.
- Chicken broth – You can use bone broth or chicken stock in place of chicken broth if you prefer.
- BBQ rub – Use our delicious Gimme Some Grilling BBQ rub or make your own rub. You can also use your favorite BBQ rub from the grocery store too!
- Butter – Dice your butter into one inch cubes so that you can place the butter evenly around the whole slow cooker.
- Olive oil – A little oil in the skillet will help crisp up the skin on the chicken thighs before adding them to the crock pot.
- Minced garlic cloves – Freshly minced garlic will add a bold flavor to this dish!
- Parsley – Use fresh parsley as a finishing garnish. A nice presentation and a complimentary flavor.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs
First things first, remove the chicken thighs from the package and pat them dry with paper towels.
Then use your hand to rub BBQ run all over each chicken thigh, ensuring that they’re all evenly coated.
Heat extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Then place each chicken thigh skin side down into the hot oil. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the skin has crisped up and transfer to the slow cooker skin side up.
Pour the chicken broth over the chicken thighs, then add the diced butter and minced garlic. Make sure each chicken thigh gets an even amount of butter and garlic.
Cook the chicken on low for 4.5-5 hours. Use an instant read meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. Ensure it reaches 165 degree Fahrenheit at the thickest part of the chicken thigh.
Remove from the slow cooker and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately with your favorite side dish!
What to Serve with Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs
This tasty protein main dish goes well with tons of different side dishes! Make some flavorful smashed potatoes or quick and easy air fryer potatoes. I like to serve it with a side dish of veggies like creamed corn or glazed carrots too.
These slow cooker bbq chicken thighs really go with anything. You can simply serve with rice if you need something easy or make your favorite side dish!
How to Store Leftover Crock Pot Chicken Thighs
Chicken always stores well, but especially when it’s bone-in chicken. It always retains moisture and reheats as tender and juicy as the first bite you took!
FRIDGE: Place leftover chicken thighs into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
FREEZER: Chicken thighs will freeze well for about 3 months when stored in an airtight container.
How to reheat leftover chicken thigs
To reheat, place in the oven with a splash of water or chicken broth and reheat until the thighs reach a safe internal temperature.
What other seasonings can I use for slow cooker chicken thighs?
This easy crock pot chicken thighs recipe is really adaptable. You can use any type of seasoning you want, you don’t need to stick with just the BBQ rub. Try some Italian seasoning, lemon pepper rub, or even a sweet and smoky rub.
Is it better to cook chicken thighs on low or high?
Cooking bone-in chicken thighs low and slow produces the best results. Cooking chicken at a low temperature produces the most juicy and tender chicken that is just melt in your mouth perfect! If you cook chicken too quickly, it can dry it out and make it tough.
- Make sure the skin crisps up well in the skillet before adding it to the crockpot. This helps ensure a good texture on the outer layer of the chicken once it’s finished cooking in the slow cooker.
- Don’t be stingey with seasoning! Season each chicken thigh generously and cover it with plenty of BBQ rub.
- Try to arrange the chicken thighs in a single layer in the crock pot so that they cook evenly.
Juicy and flavorful slow cooker chicken thighs, to the rescue for dinner time! This no-stress recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight.
More Slow Cooker Recipes You’ll Love
- Crock Pot Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta is a delicious and easy recipe you can make for dinner!
- Wanna know the easy button for pasta night? It’s this fabulous Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce.
- Need a fresh new recipe for Taco Tuesday? Then check out these Crock Pot Pork Carnitas.
- If you need an easy side dish, then try these Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes. They’re so easy and go with anything!
- 2 pounds bone-in skin-on chicken thighs (4-5 chicken thighs)
- 2 Tablespoons BBQ Rub
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup butter diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Use your hands to rub the BBQ Rub all over the chicken, making sure they’re coated.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then place the chicken skin side down into the skillet and cook it for 4-5 minutes until the skin is crispy; transfer to your slow cooker skin side up.
- Pour the broth into your slow cooker, then add the diced butter and garlic. Cook the chicken in low for 4.5-5 hours.
- After cooking time is done check the internal temperature to make sure it is at 165 degrees Fahrenheit in the thickest part of the thigh.
- Garnish with parsley if desired and enjoy!